Camera Insurance?

don_minton

I am an amateur photographer who shoots mostly "street" photography. (www.geocities.com/soho/studios/6051, if you must...) I currently use a Yashicamat 124G, which at $200 - $300 is practically disposable. I was considering getting a used Bronica, but I am worried about lugging around $2-3000 worth of equipment in not-always-nice company. I know the pros are probably covered thru company or small business type policies. But can an individual, amateur, get "camera insurance"? Does a homeowners policy cover that sort of thing? If I get mugged? Or what if I just drop it off a bidge or something? (I know I know...call my agent...). Besides, my wife says we could get dropped, or at least a black mark if I make a claim as "small" as $2000 against a homeowners policy w/ a $500 deductible.

<p>

Anybody?

My wife works in Insurance.

<p>

You can "Schedule" all your equipment on your home owners insurance for about 1.5% of appraised or replacement value. this is an annual fee.

<p>

If anything happens to your camera, except for willful negligence, full replacement costs are almost "immediately" paid out. Typically within a week.

<p>

I have a full Nikon system with 7 lenses from 24mm through 400mm, and a Mamiya system also with multiple lenses, film backs, prisms, etc "SCHEDULED".

<p>

Call your agent (homeowners) and ask for details.

<p>

Dave

This question came up last year on a trip to Italy. Street crime is a problem in Rome and my wife was concerned about my taking several Nikons and lenses with me. I checked with my home owners policy company, at that time Liberty Mutual. It was explained as follows, if camera equipment is stolen, the policy will pay replacement cost up to 1/2 of the replacement cost of the house. WOW, 1/2 of $162,000!! I took my nikons with total peace of mind. I did however make a list of all equipment and serial nos. and packed it with passport and travelers checks.

Camera equipment is not subject to limits such as typically $500 for unscheduled jewlry or silverware or $1,000 for unscheduled guns, etc.

As in the earlier answer, you can get all risk coverage by scheduling your equipment. One problem, if the equipment is more that one year old, you have to have written appraisals to be scheduled. I have not bothered, as I baby my equipment and I can now afford to be self-insured. (My wife already has the policy loaded up with lots of jewelry)