martin_davidson

Best bet might be to order directly from Beattie:

<p>

Beattie Systems, Inc.

2407 Gutherie Ave.

Cleveland, TN 37320, USA

Phone (423) 479-8566

<p>

They take credit cards, so a telephone order from the UK shouldn't be a problem. I recently bought one for my Mamiya C330, and it was about US$140 with shipping. Some retailers (such as Calumet Photographic) sell these at some discount, although I couldn't find one in stock at a retailer when I wanted it.

<p>

Installation is simple; it shouldn't require more than a small screwdriver in your Rollei. (Beattie sends installation instructions.)

<p>

As to the improvement in a Rollei 2.8C: you're gonna love it! It will make that camera a real joy to use.

You can get them in the UK from Morco, in Mansfield, tel 01623 422828. However, they're not cheap at #100 + VAT plus for medium format cameras. Probably pounds for dollars compared with US prices. From the general feedback on the MFD, they're worth it if you can justify this price for a 2 inch square piece of plastic!

It's fantastic! I had it installed yesterday, and it makes about 100% difference! When I took it out of its little wallet, I did feel 117.50 UK pounds was a lot for a sliver of opaque plastic, but once inside it has transformed my Rolleiflex. I always enjoyed using it, but found quick focussing, and composing on the trotm, all but impossible. A 45 year old glss screen was like peering into a well.

<p>

But now, I can hardly tear my eyes away from the viewing screen!

<p>

It is true that it would probably have been cheaper to go to the States, where they are listed for about 106 US dollars, especially with a strong pound, but with excise of 8% plus VAT, plus the inconvenience etc etc. I finally just went to Morco.

<p>

Only caveat -- forget trying to insatal it yourself unless you know what you are doing. The "instrcuctions" -- what a joke! I was told to "open focusing frame (duh!) remove original screen, and replace with the Beattie...." BUT HOW??? No mention of how to do it in the old Rolleiflex guide I had.

<p>

Anyway I live up the road from London's Rollei centre, and Classic Repair shop, and for a tenner, they had it done in quarter of an hour. (PS if you dont know these people, then I really, really, recommend them, on 0171 251 2525, Wharf Road, London N1).

<p>

Can't recommend it enough!

• 2 months later...

Beattie Systems Inc. has recently stopped producing and selling focusing screens. Brightscreen offers a large variety of screens. You can reach Brightscreen at 800 235-2451, local and international 423 478-1451. Brightscreens are also available in the UK through Bob Rigby Photographic. Brightscreen and Bob Rigby Photographic both have web sites at:

<p>

http://www.brightscreen.com

<p>

http://www.bobrigby.com

• 2 years later...

Hi Yusef,

I bought the Beattie screen for 225 Singapore dollars. That works out to about US $133. Bought the screen two weeks ago.

Comes in three versions for the Rollei TLRs.

1. For non-removable viewing hoods.

2. For removable viewing hoods, up to the latest F series & Cord Vb.

3. For the 2.8GX, which is also used in the 6000 series SLRs.