Which table top Tripod for M?

Jason - Richard's right. The Leica tripod and the large ball head are built like tanks, will last beyond your lifetime, and are eminetly useful where you need them. Any good cable release will do, but just don't get one that's too short.

Also, if you are contemplating using 90 or 135 lenses, get a third party handgrip that will place the tripod hole directly under the longitudinal axis of the lens. Easier to set up, and it's more stable.

Basically you are expecting that the head control(s) and locking feels right and that you can safely set your camera and longest lens for horizontal or vertical compositions on a table, go make a cup of coffee and be confident that you will find the lot as you left it when you come back.

For table tripods (only) -due to their small footprint- I believe that the elevation of the camera base (relative to the table) should really be less than the (shortest) side of the triangle drawn by the tripod's feet on the table's surface.

I use the Leica table tripod but cannot manage to really trust it's stability when left alone. I also tried a small Gitzo but that was much worse (higher with the same footprint).

One more vote for the Leica table tripod with Leica large ball head. For me, it has a good compromise of not-too-light vs. not-too-heavy. Admittedly, it's not too compact, but on the other hand, this way it can be used comfortably as a chest-tripod as well. During my recent trip in the Dolomites, I used it quite a lot with the 90mm Elmarit as a chest-tripod, and I'm happy with the results: no sign of camera shake in the projected slides. I also admit that I often use it without a cable release (for shutter speeds of 1sec and faster) and haven't seen any problem with this in the projected slides. But of course, using a cable release also looks cool ;-)

I agree about the Leica table tripod but prefer the medium ballhead (14121 or an older KGOON, long discontinued). I find the large ballheads too topheavy and worry about that much leverage on the skimpy little 1/4" attaching screw. It should have been 3/8" as on the small Manfrotto. BTW the 14121 has reversible threading on both ends for 1/4" and 3/8" so I can transfer it to and from a standard tripod and also use it on LTM and Rolleiflex.

Still another vote for the Leica table top tripod and ballhead. An even better ballhead (although too big and heavy to carry around everywhere) is my Profi Ballhead II from Linhof. As to cable release, any ol' thing will do. (I have -- of course -- a "Leica" here, too). Whether it's 25 or 50 cm long depends on how far away you'll be from the camera.

Certainly the Leica tripod, but I dare to differ on which ballhead. I had the large one, and while it's good, I found it too big and picked up this little 'un, which is marvellous. Its code is 14104R and while it cost me quite a bit, it adds so little bulk while doing all that the big one did.<div>006DTQ-14838784.jpg.6eae450317daa6493c33fb0edc6d2a33.jpg</div>

Jason---Emile and I are getting beat-up here. At least do yourself a favor and

LOOK at the small Gitzo. I suspect that nobody here who is recommending

the Leitz has actually ever seen the small Gitzo. It's an absolute delight. I

have BOTH of them and wouldn't consider the using the Leitz. (Unless I can't

find the Gitzo, but that's another problem.)