Fogged Film, Stroboframe in Carry-On

larry gassan

Two questions for recent travellers [6/03].

1] With new TSA screening, is film getting fogged? If so, are clear

plastic bags still the way to go? Airports I will frequenting soon

are:

LAX

Columbus OH

Minneapolis MN

Atlanta GA

Dulles

2] I'm considering carrying a Stroboframe [class reunion photos],

but frankly having my doubts. Zealous security in Kansas City KS

relieved me of my mini-robo keychain pliers, which had been

ignored in LAX, Vegas, and BWI (twice).

With TSA rules stating that your luggage can be opened at will,

with no remedy for "loss" or damage, things have definitely

changed.

Apologies if this question has been answered better before. I

looked.

--Larry Gassan

TSA opened my bags at O'Hare in Chicago. The bags were opened because I was carrying a fairly large ballhead and I'm sure that on a scanner it could pass for a bomb. I knew it would likely cause my bags to be opened. They carefully closed them with a very tight non-openable tie. Nothing was disturbed or stolen.

Conni

At Newark airport last month, certainly on international flights (not sure about domestic) ALL checked baggage was being screened and passengers were told NOT to lock their luggage - or if it needed to be opened, it would be, regardless of any damage caused.

Film will be fogged by checked baggage X-ray units, but carry-on X-ray units shouldn't fog film with one or two passes.

I've taken film (from ISO 100 through 800) through multiple passes on the hand-baggage x-ray scanners with no ill effects (fogging, streaks, etc.). However, NEVER put your film in your checked bags. The CTX 5000 scanners that they use for that will damage any film on the first shot. On my last trip, I was surprised to notice that I actually heard warnings from TSA and airline employees to remove any film from you checked bags becuase of the possible damage. Unfortunately, try as I might, I have been pretty regularly refused hand checking for film.

Larry,

It all depends on the airport. Last January, I had to fly to Reno, NV via O'hare and had stroboframe in one suitcase and Gitzo CF and detached ball head in another. As per instructions, all suitcases must be unlocked. Both of these suitcases were pulled out for hand inspection and were searched and reclosed with the luggage straps I had on them. The one suitcase that contained only clothes passed right through.

Flying back from the Reno airport, I expected the same treatment of my bags, but all went through the CTX machine and none were pulled out for inspection!! I guess there are no standard guidelines.

All film was FedEx'd to and from my assignment location so no need to worry about any Xrays.

So, your stroboframe may or may not send up a red flag. I wouldn't worry about it.

The one time when my bag was stopped where I could see (in some airports you carry the bag to the scanners), the guy said it was most likely my tube of toothpaste. He said it had about the same consistency as plastic explosives.

I've taken to sealing my bags with a nylon cable tie, supplying the tie to them if I am where I can see them examine the bag. I suspect that it's a bit slower where they check the bag in front of you, but I sort of like that system better...

I traveled to Mexico in January and due to flight delays and such, my carry-on ended up getting searched 4 times and the film x-rayed 5 times. One security person decided he needed to x-ray some of the things he found in my bag again, because they were questionable ??, that included my camera, lenses, and film (which was out of the containers and in zip-loc bags. I have to admit that none of the film seemed to be effected in any way, even after 5 passes through the carry-on x-ray machine. The highest speed I had was 400. I don't even bother to ask for hand checks anymore. It's not worth the hassle

First, <b>never</b> put your film in checked luggage. The high-intensity machines used on checked luggage <b>will</b> fog your film. The units used for carry-on luggage will only be of concern if you have high-speed film or will subject your film to multiple exposures on a multi-leg trip. This is valid everywhere to the best of my knowledge.<BR>

<BR>

Second, if you are at an airport in the United States you can ask for a hand inspection of your film. If requested, they are <b>required by law</b> to do such an inspection instead of using x-ray equipment. (But ask politely and remain polite at all times - they can find reasons to delay you for a <b>long</b> time if you are obnoxious to them.) In case you run into inspectors who are not familiar with the law, ask to speak to a supervisor. If the supervisor is also ignorant of the law, you may want to have a copy handy of Department Of Transportation - Transportation Security Agency, 49 CFR Civil Aviation Security Rules, Section 1549.209 (e)(4). This was published in the Federal Register Volume 67, No. 36, page 8380 on Friday, 22 February 2002.<BR>

<BR>

This rule says, "If requested by individuals, their photographic equipment and film packages <b>must</b> be inspected without exposure to an X-ray system." (Emphasis added by me.)<BR>

<BR>

For additional information on Big Brother's viewpoints on this subject, go to the Transportation Security Agency website at the <a href="http://129.33.119.130/public/theme_home1.jsp">TSA Website</a> and enter the word "film" in the search window.<BR>

<BR>

If you are concerned about authoritative information concerning film and x-ray equipment, Kodak has a very complete discussion of this on their web site.<BR>

<BR>

So far (knock on wood) I have had no problem obtaining hand inspections at U.S. airports. I have all my film in a large clear plastic Ziplock bag that I pull out just before arrival at the security area. I also include a roll of ISO 1600 film in the bag to use as "first round" leverage with any inspector who wants to insist on x-ray inspection. (My printout of 1549.209 (e)(4) is kept for use as a "last resort" weapon if needed. So far I have never needed to use it.)<BR>

<BR>

With best wishes,<BR>

- Tom - <BR>

• 1 month later...
if you are carrying 400 or less than you will be okay if the film goes a few times in the carry on with you. I just went for a project in Egypt and i kept the film in my carry on ( all 100/200 film) and it passed through the scanner at JFK airport then it passed the scanner again in Heathrow (i had a long layover and decided to visit friends in London) then on the way back it passed through Cairo Airport and Heathrow Airport again. So it went a total of 4 times under the carry on scanner and the film came out superb.

• 6 months later...

Howdy. I work for the TSA. Here are some simple rules to remember and you'll be OK.

1) Never put film in your checked bags.

2) Have any film 800 speed or higher hand-checked.

3) Don't allow any film under 800 speed to pass through an X-ray more than 5 times.

Here is a tip. Avoid the lead lined bag and just have your film hand-checked.