Minolta X-570 and Minolta Auto 280px Flash - sync cord?

mistym

Hi - I have a minolta x-570 and a Minolta 280px flash that I would

like to put on a bracket, but I can't figure out what sync cord I

would need to use. BHphotovideo and adorama don't show pictures, and

I really need to see the connectors!

PC end will plug into the camera, but what needs to go into the flash

is something with three holes in a single row.

Alternatively I could hook up my Sunpak Auto2000DZ, but I can't find

a cord for that either. It would need to have a hotshoe mount

because there is NO place on the sunpak to accept a cable.

Any advice on either of these flashes would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

The 280PX flash is a TTL flash. The flash control cord actually goes on the flash shoe on the camera. The PC connector is used with non-TTL flashes or those flashes that can work in either mode.

The TTL cable is "cable OC". Depending on the bracket you have, you may need the off camera shoe to mount to a bracket, although with my strobo frame, I don't need one.

I suggest that you ask your question in the Minota section of this list or on the Yahoo manual minota group. They should be able to tell you where you can get one of these cables.

Tom

Excellent response by Tom. Have a look at e-Bay item 2958166176, which is for a Cable OC, and shows close-ups of the contacts. You can probably figure out from there if it will fit your 280px - I only know for sure that this would be the way to go if you had a 360px and wanted to maintain TTL flash metering. There are third party alternatives for the Cable OC as well, but they are even harder to come by.

Thank you guys so much! I finally got through to Adorama (last week was a jewish holiday allll week and put both them and bhphotovideo out of commission), and the guy seemed to know what he was talking about and hooked me up with what he says I'll need $14. I'll have it on friday and then we'll see.

I'm going to have to look up what TTL means unless someone feels generous about wanting to enlighten me... no pun...

Thanks again!

And ugh - in case this post is useful to someone else as well - the OC is not the right cable, if what is pictured in the ebay item that you so nicely pointed me to is accurate - there is no connector that looks anything like the round end on my 280 flash. I might just have to get newer equipment... but we'll see what comes in the mail on Friday...

Misty,

Sorry my answer was incomplete. According to the 280px flash users manual (which you can download from the Minolta USA web site - see below) you will also need the "Off Camera Shoe". The OC plugs into the Shoe and it has the necessary contacts for the flash. The 360px flash has the round terminal and doesn't need the shoe.

The manual can be downloaded from: www.minoltausa.com

Go to the "cameras & accessories" tab, click on "support", then go to "manuals". The 280px is in the "accessories" category.

Tom

Oh don't be sorry Tom! You have given me extremely helpful information and I am very grateful! I should have thought to check the minolta site. I gave up checking the manufacturers sites because I had gotten very frustrated with Canon. I'll check it out!

Thank you!!!