Hi,

I recently aquired a used Canon 540 EZ. It has been a great flash, (a

little too big for my Rebel 2000 though.) My question is whether I

can use the flash as a wireless slave, or off the camera. A friend of

mine had a Minolta camera and flash, he was able to take the flash

off his camera and trigger the flash *using the built-in pop-up flash

from his camera.* Is the 540 EZ capable of doing this? I have a

feeling not without some sort of other device. I searched photo.net

and found references to a "ST-E2 wireless" device. What does that do?

Is wireless only available on E-ttl flashes? The rebel 2000 is a type-

A camera so it would support E-TTL, but the 540 EZ is A-TTL or TLL.

Lastly would I have been better off buying a 420 EX? I had really

wanted manual control so I went with the 540 Ez (can't afford

550ex..yet). Should I trade in the 540ez for a 420 ex or even a Sigma

Super or ST (the kind that has e-ttl).

Thanks in advance, Amol

Canon's wireless flash system, including the ST-E2, only works with flashes whose ID ends in "EX". As you know, the 540 is an "EZ" model.

The 420EX would work with an ST-E2, and/or with another EX flash.

You can use the Off-Shoe Cord 2 with the 540EZ and a Stroboframe or other bracket, just to get the off the hot shoe far enough to avoid red-eye and control shadows.

The 540EZ was designed for EOS 1N which is no longer produced. Check the spec on canon's site. As far as I know the 540 will not wireless with anything not even when you use the ST-E2. The 550 has recently come down in price by 100$CAN. and it will serve you well in the future if you choose to upgrade your body. It is still double of the 420EX. EX will work with the digital bodies.

The ST-E2 is a wireless E-TTL transmitter for controlling E-TTL slave Speedlites. You cannot use your 540EZ as a wireless slave because, as you say, it is A-TTL or TTL only. Wireless E-TTL requires an ST-E2 or 550EX as a master and 550EX or 420EX as slave, as a minimum.

The Sigma equivalent of the 550EX will also work but is of lower quality construction and less reliable, although at a lower price.

You can get an inexpensive optical slave to fire your 540EZ from your built-in flash but you will have no TTL control of the 540EZ, which you will have to use in manual mode. You will also need a flash meter.

Another solution, which will give you TTL control, is to get an Ikelite Lite-Link. You mount your 540EZ on the Lite-Link and it senses when your built-in flash fires and synchronizes with it, shutting off when the built-in shuts off (quenches).

If you just want to use it off the camera, you can do that by using off-camera cord (under 50.00) upto two feet. If you need to place it further away or require multiple flash, one other option is to use as a wired-TTL (as a wired slave on multiple-flash setup). This was commonly used method for 1N users who wants to use multiple EZ series flash lights. You will need a Canon's hot shoe adaptor, connecting cable, off camera adaptor and "OPTIONAL" distributors (for three or more flashes). It preserves the TTL, but you will loose ETTL (not a major issue since you are using EZ). BTW, if you connect EX series this way, only TTL function will work (not ETTL).

The TTL Hot Shoe Adapter 3 allows TTL multiple off-camera flash photography. It should be used in conjuction with EOS Connecting Cord 300 (3m in length) and off-camera shoe Adapter OA-2. Last year, I bought the system for around 130.00 USD at BH photo (59+41+27). If you are interested, I can sell you mine for 90.00 USD plus shipping, but my suggestion is go with multiple 550EX/420EX setup if you can afford it.

Hi, I was just using my 540ez today with my 10D. I use the off-shoe cord and I attach the flash to a light stand. This gets me about two feet away and above my camera. It's far enough away to not get the on-camera flash look and if you use a pocket bounce (I use the 80/20 with the silver insert) you get a really nice light. I have a 420ex and I would not trade the 540 for a 420. You don't have any manual controls with the 420. It's totally ettl. Use the 540 for now and save up for the 550ex.

Get an Ikelite Lite-Link for $80 and your 540EZ will retain TTL metering and be wirelessly controlled by your built in flash. It will also trip your 540EZ as a manual slave flash. It's a pretty handy device and works for a greater distance than Canon's wireless E-TTL.

Also, with Canon's system you have to have a 550EX or ST-E2 for a master and another 550EX or 420EX for the slave. With multiple Lite-Links you can drive several lower cost slaves all from your built in flash. Canon's system has several bells & whistles that are very nice, but using the Lite-Link is cheaper.

<I>"Can I use my flash in manual with the Ikelite?"</I>

<P>

Yep, manual flash is fine with these. Lite-Links are the best way to fire a Canon Speedlite as an optical slave, since conventional optical slave devices are unreliable with Canon flashes, and often cause the flash to lock up after one pop.

Everyone, thanks for the responses, info, and recommendations.

Jim & Bill: Thanks for pointing me to the "Ikelite Lite-Link". After reading your recommendation I Googled it and found that this device will do exactly what I was looking for.

NK Guy: The EOS flash page is a great resource (so are the other pages that you usually recommend), I have looked at them several times for answers to many of my questions... though I must at admit I have yet to read all three parts from beginning to end. I will continue to use it regularly, Thanks

Everyone thanks again,

Amol