Lensboard on Shen-Hao: Centered hole or not? Does it matter?

jmw__

I purchased a new Nikon lensboard today and noticed that the hole was off center.

Comparing it to my other two lensboards, I noticed that no two are the same. The

hole on the stock Shen-Hao board seems pretty close to center, the Nikon board

about 1/8" lower than that, and the Adorama board even lower than that by about 1/

16".

I use a Shen-Hao with 90, 150, and 240mm lenses. Should I be using lens boards

with centered holes? Non-centered holes? Does it matter? (Shen-Hao cameras use

Linhof/Technika-style boards, btw.)

Does it matter ?

Well if you're composing on the ground glass it's unlikely to matter much. The only *minor* problem might be that this restricts the amount of rise/fall you can achieve with the front standard (because the lens is offset wrt the fron standard). Sounds like it's only a few mm anyhow.

The only thing you may notice in the Shen Hao is that the "0" mark on the front standard (rise/fall scale) will not index the same for the three different lens boards. This shouldn't be too much of an issue, unles you have a lens with marginal coverage and don't check the corners of the ground glass after composing. As long as you are aware of the difference, you can certainly compensate before exposure. There is plenty of rise & fall for most lenses on the Shen Hao.

Linhof boards have the hole off center because when they are used with a Linhof camera this centers the optical axis of the lens on the film. Since you say the hole in the Shen Hao board is centered, I'd guess that using an off center board with this camera will place the optical axis of your lens slightly off center. It probably isn't off center by enough to make a real difference but if it bothers you you could always compensate for it by using a little front rise or fall (depending on the direction in which the hole is off center).

"Lensboard on Shen-Hao: Centered hole or not? Does it matter?" If you need a Copal 1, it will matter, belive me. You´ll have problems moving the diafrag selector. In fact, you will have to remove the lens to move it. Now I have a brand new Nikon lensboard in my basement, or for sale.

Sorry for answering so late this tread, I just saw it today.

good luck and hope it´s not to late.