shots are taken with different lenses (test 01 with the sigma 15-30

and test 02 with sigmas 24mm prime). Test 01 was underexposed so I

added about a stop and a quarter exposure compensation in capture

one. Test 02 was correctly exposed. I have other images that are also

showing subtle banding, always in the shadows. I don't know if it

would effect banding or not but both these images were shot with the

aperture wide open.

You can see that the banding in test 01 is a lot more significant

than in test 02 where it is subtle but still there.

I tried converting the same images with Canons file viewer utility

and the banding was still there.

I am a little disappointed to see that I am getting this banding and

searching the web have not heard of anyone else encountering a

similar thing. Do I have a defective 10d or am I asking for too much

from it?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Tim.

P.S. I should mention that test01 is compressed at jpeg 75 to keeps

the file size down so this has very slightly exaggerated the banding,

but test 02 is at jpeg 100.<div>005bJm-13776984.thumb.jpg.76c68609f43fc11279c6ab5fa8a21813.jpg</div>

I'm not sure if the "banding" would be a proper term for your problem. As far as I'm concern, your sample photo 1 exhibited what commonly known as chromatic aberration ("color fringing"), which is common for zoom lens at wide open (for example, from picture of tree branches on the bright sky). On your second sample, I can't really make out chromatic aberration nor banding. I only see an underexposed portion of picture with out-of-focus or blured image (sorry it is too fuzy to call it a bokeh). Banding is a term commonly used for scanner/printer having inconsistent color/brightness along the horizontal or vertical direction.

As far as I can tell, you don't have a banding problem (all though, I see a minor color fringing effect on the first sample). I don't think 10D is the problem... I think it is your lens. Try to reshoot properly exposed shots using a prime at F8.0 or F11.0 and see if you still have the problem.

<blockquote>

Hi Tim,

<p>

I can clearly see the banding you refer to in both images when viewed on my

monitor at 1280x1024/85hz and higher.

<p>

To test my own cameras (10D & 1Ds) and see if the problem exists, I have

tried some test shots at various ISO settings and exposures and cannot see

any banding whatsoever, even in underexposed images.

<p>

What ISO setting did you have set, what lens were you using (is this

noticable on other lenses?) and how much is the image enlarged? These

things may have some bearing on the end result although from my own

testing (being unable to reproduce your problem) I think you may have a

problem with the CMOS chip or some other data capture malfunction. Perhaps

a Canon tech could advise you best.

<p>

Kind regards,

<p>

Peter Brown

<p>

<a

href="http://www.peter-brown-photographer.com">http://www.peter-brown

-photographer.com</a>

</blockquote>

Oops, my bad. Yes, as others have pointed out banding is apparent on your sample photos. I was using my 2 year old laptop w/ 14" LCD to view those pictures earlier, but now I clearly see banding in my CRT monitor.

Do you remember what ISO setting you have used? I've used 10D mostly under studio flash and bright light condition with low ISO setting, and haven't really noticed any banding. Although I have seen banding on D30 with higher ISO setting under slightly underexposed shot. I don't think there is anything you can do about it other than doing some experiment with varying ISO and exposure settings to study and avoid ISO and exposure combinations that may maximize the banding effect. I'm sorry for my short-sighted comment earlier!

I have a 10D also and I have not noticed any banding with mine, but I try to avoid shooting with any ISO over 400, in fact for the most part I do every thing in my power to use 100. When I have tried faster settings I have noticed, not what I would call banding, but what I like to think of as an ugly digital reproduction of film grain. Do you only notice this banding in RAW?

Hi. This is all proving interesting. Both shots were shot at iso 100 and with good window light.

I've only ever used the camera in Raw mode.

I will attach the full images of both tests. I have massively compressed these so you probably won't be able to see the banding on them, it is just to show what percentage of the picture the original files were.

My canon 50mm 1.8 mark 2 has fallen apart else I would test that, I will take a look to see if I have any Raws shot on that lens.

Sounds like I might have to get in touch with Canon.

Tim.<div>005bV4-13780784.jpg.d776909b0f0bf9ce83020437db7b56ad.jpg</div>

Hi Tim,

Looks like JPEG artefacts to me. How does the banding appear (if at all) for a RAW image? I doubt your 10D is defective, I'd say it was probably something to do with a combination of in-camera sharpening (let me guess, you're at +2 sharpening, right?) and JPEG compression?

Intrigued to know if I'm warm here...

John

Hi John,

Wish you were warm! Unfortunately I can see the banding in the Raw file, the Tiff (once I have converted it in capture) one and the Jpegs as converted in photoshop 7. The more I process the image (levels, curves etc) the more I see the banding but it is there in the raws too. Also I have viewed the raws in both capture one and canons file viewer utility.

Also I have ticked the disable sharpening box in capture ones preferences (Am not at my home computer just now and can�t remember the exact name of the preference but it is to disable any of the settings in the focus tab of capture one).

I think I am right in saying that by shooting camera Raw there will be no in camera sharpening?

Tim.

Are you getting these results when printed? I ask, because there is a small possibility that your visual reproduction system (i.e. PC/Graphics Card/Monitor) isn't able to show you the finest tonal gradation. In other words, instead of displaying the full, 'true' colour (normally considered to be 24 or 32 bits per pixel), it's stopping somewhere around 16bpp, or 65K colours. This is common on some LCD monitors - such as the one I'm using here (Eizo 17" LCD) - but perhaps won't be visible on a printout.

Again, maybe I'm well wide of the mark, but your concern is mine insofar as I've just bought a 10D and I'm aiming for the best results possible.

John