METAL field camera recommendation

todd_phillips1

"Current makers of wooden cameras have a problem. The available wood just isn't as good as that used in the best century old cameras so many of which remain in nice condition."

I'm not sure this is strictly true, yes there are certain timbers that are in short supply or no longer commercially available (such as the really wide mahogany boards from the West Indies) but there's still plenty of fine timber out there for musical instrument makers, cabinet makers, and antique restorers. And if anyone insisted on using vintage wood it's not that difficult, at least here in the UK, to source centuries old salvaged mahogany, yew, lignum vitae, ebony, teak, boxwood, or pine in ample quantities for camera construction.

What I'm not particularly impressed with is the quality of craftsmanship I've seen on some modern wooden cameras (and modern dark slides, contact frames etc), it seems that joinery standards of fit and finish have replaced the fine cabinet making or even musical instrument making standards that are needed for cameras. But there's some practitioners, such as Gandolfi, that produce wooden cameras every bit as fine today as the very, very best from the 19th century.

Todd, As a former owner of the Horseman FA, I would highly recommned it to anyone needing a compact, rugged, folding metal technical camera. While it doesn't have the generous movements of my Wisner or Deardorff cameras, it is very durable. I've even dropped mine (in a canvas bag with camera wrapped with the focusing cloth) on rocks and it came through with absolutely no damage. I had a 65mm f7 Horseman lens on mine and it was mounted on a flat 80mm lens board. On the downside, as mentioned, limited movements, short bellows draw and tiny and expensive lens boards that will not acommodate larger shutters (which are typically what you need when using older graphic arts lenses, as I do). But, I do have to say that I made some wonderful negatives with mine and it was a pleasure to hike with. With the lens requirements you have, you should be satisfied. I would say the movements might be the only shortcoming for architectural work.

Hi Todd

Just curious

Did you try to lift the camera + tripod via the handle on the camera

or did it disintergrate just on the weight of the camera only ?

The canham has no handle for you to lift, so that would solve one problem : )

But seriously, even a metal camera when taking a tumble might not survive any better than a wooden one, the parts can get bent beyond

fixing .... only thing is that they don't rot

Lam