hood for 4x5 not dark cloth

herz1

<p>"Hood" can be defined rather broadly. Toyo makes a <a href="http://www.toyoview.com/Products/Accessories/45ACFac.html">folding focusing hood</a> (scroll down on the linked page to see the item) that is similar in function to the pop-up hoods on 6x6 cameras, and doubles as a ground glass protector. It will do in a pinch, but it's no substitute for a dark cloth or the BTZS hood. The Toyo folding hood mounts behind the ground via spring-loaded pins at one end that pop into corresponding holes in the Toyo backs. You might be able to adapt it to another brand, however. </p>

Yet another vote for the BTZS and some further thoughts. It does cost a bi tmore

than a standard dark cloth but you will bless every extra cent of its cost each time

you feel how light it is and each time you roll it up and stuff it in your pocket or a

corner of your field kit bag. Finally while not perfect is comes real close; close

enouogh that I frequently find myself using it in the studio instead of a standard dark

cloth as well as in the field.

How about no wind, rain, snow or light? Completely blacked out on the inside and made with spring steel like pop open reflectors -- collapses flat to a 24" x 2" disc. I have one. Other sizes available -- nice if you are waiting for a long time in one spot for that perfect light. Set up your shot and sleeping bag too if you want the early light.

Just stick your front end out one of the windows, the inside is like night. Looks funny in the studio though. ;)

http://www.huntingblinds-r-us.com/blinds/Outhouse.htm

I also sometimes use a 60" studio umbella (with black shell) rigged off the tripod and throw a dark cloth over the whole rig.

Mine came from J. C. Penneys. Heavy dark sweat shirt. I stick my head in the hole backwards and put the waist area around the camera back. Sure it looks goofy......but did I go to impress the on-lookers or make pictures. The BTZS versions are much more impressive I must admit.

Actually the best thing I have ever used was the hood of my goretex rain jacket, while wearing the jacket. Just pull the hood over the top of your head and over the GG. Downside is that in warm weather who wants to wear a jacket?

By the way, I have an 8x10 BTZS, but I find it works ok also with 4x5.

CXC