$500. Thanks in advance.

$449.00 Canon Rebel Ti 35mm SLR Camera Packge Includes:

Canon Rebel Ti 35mm SLR Camera /

Canon EF 35 - 80 f/4-5.6 III Lens /

Canon EF 75 - 300 f/4-5.6 III Lens /

Two (2) 3V lithium batteries /

Four (4) 35mm rolls of 24 Exposure film /

Gadget bag 2200

It's worth avoiding the 35-80 lens (or its close cousins, the 28-80 or 90s that are often sold with new Rebels). Instead, take the body and pick up the 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 ** N.B. NOT the f/4-5.6 ** (around $200 at B&H) and a 50mm f/1.8 (less than $70). That will about use up your budget, but you will be much better off with these higher quality lenses which will give you good coverage for general photography and some lower light capability.

You can safely leave buying a longer telephoto until later, when you should aim for a better quality lens. Be prepared to budget upwards of $500 for this. Alternatively, you might find that you become interested in other kinds of lenses - e.g. macro, or wider angle, a prime suited to portraits etc.

I'd also recommend you pick up a book or two that will give you some hints and tips and explore the "Learn" section of this site (look at the menu bar at the top of this page).

You did not mention your mission. All of my camera work is mission specific, so the mission requirements are the first thing I figure out when contemplating new equipment. Keep in mind I am neither a professional, nor even an un-talented amateur.

Maybe you just want to shoot pictures, see what happens, and you want to be a step above a good point-and-shoot. Ok, that is a fine place to start. There are some good references here on the web:

http://photonotes.org/articles

http://bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/index.html

just to name a couple. Check out the FAQ's on these two. Maybe it will help you narrow your focus. And that may tell you if the proposed package is the way you want to go.

carl

Skip it.

Buy a used setup of something like an Elan level body & a 28-105 (the f/3.5-4.5

version NOT a f/4-5.6 version) or 24-85 (wish I had bought the 24 instead of the 28-

105 personally, but it didn't even exist) and a 50/1.8. Don't forget the lens hoods,

they are more important than a lot of people really realize.

You will end up with a system that will be able to grow with you as your skills

develop.

Those lens are slow, and probably focus really slow. If you buy the crappier stuff early

on, you can't resell it very easily. Don't buy a kit based on extras like film & bag

either, they're usually as cheap and crappy as possible.

Did I mention buy used? There are a lot of reputable sellers in the Classifieds with

decent equipment at decent prices. I find Japanese cameras can depreciate like

American cars. The increasing digital shift also means there are extra film bodies

available. And don't forget a decent tripod next.

BUT, do go to a camera store and try the models in your hands - preferably a store

with a used section so you can try older models. I discovered that an older model felt

better in my hands (A2E), irregardless of any zippy new features that might be

available in the current line up (Elan 7E, which is what I was comparing at the time).

Happy hunting!

Just my $.02 from my EOS experience.

<p>I would also look into the Canon Elan 7E. Right now Outpost.com (or Fry's Electronics, if you have one nearby) has this camera on clearance for $399 (kit, includes lens), with a $30 rebate.</p>

<p>See <a href=http://shop4.outpost.com/product/2951725>here</a> for the camera. See <a href=http://www.usa.canon.com/html/rebates/camerapromo/pdf/Canon_Rebate_Tear_Pad_10=03.pdf>here</a> for the rebate form.</p>

<p>Note that outpost charges sales tax for AZ, CA, CT, OH, TX, NV and WA and there is a shipping fee.</p>

<p>Then, get one of these two lenses:</p>

<ul>

<li>Canon 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens for $70 (see <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=CA50182EF">here</a>).

<li>Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens for $200 (see <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=CA28105352EF&image.x=12&image.y=9">here</a>). This lens has a $10 rebate too.

</ul>

<p>While the links above are to B&H Photo, you can get them from other retailers too - I have no connections whatsoever to B&H.</p>

Payman

<p>One more point - if this is your first SLR camera as you say, you might want to look at other brands too. These will all make fine choices:</p>

<ul>

<li>Pentax *ist (around $380 with 28-90mm f/3.5-5.6 lens)

<li>Nikon N80 (around $400 with 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6 lens)

<li>Minolta Maxxum 7 (around $500 for body only)

</ul>

Payman

Bob:

<p>

I second two pieces of advice already given, and add some more.

<p>

1. Buy a used Elan II or IIe with a warranty from a reliable dealer. Not much more cost than a new Rebel and a LOT more camera.

<p>

2. Don't get the 35-80 lens. Start with a Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 lens for general use and a Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens for low light.

<p>

Down the road a ways, you can add a wider or longer lens as you figure out your photographic preferences.

<p>

Get a good Lowe-Pro, Tamrac, or similar quality camera bag.

<p>

Jim