AZO in Neutol WA development time

cecil_pang

All Azo is being mfg at the new production facility in Canada. While the characteristics of grade two has changed the characteristics of grade three remain the same.

Development time in Neutol WA? I don't personally know anyone using that developer with Azo. I would recommend trying the times that most are using with Amidol and then judging by your results.

"Development time in Neutol WA? I don't personally know anyone using that

developer with Azo."

It's actually pretty nice - I prefer it to Amidol (though the amidol fanatics will, of course, try and convince you otherwise...). There are a few articles around about Azo and Neutol WA.

Once thing I learned recently was that Amidol prefers to be slightly warmer than the standard 20c - if only I could find the bit of paper with the info on...

So AZO is now a Canadian product eh. Hope we are charging high enough tariffs for sending it into the US :-) Canada has always produced some of the best photogrpahic stuff, like the Leica Noctilux F1 and the 90mm Elmarit f1

tim

Just the other day on the "Azo Forum"

(www.michaelandpaula.com under "Azo" then under "Azo Forum"

someone asked the same question and got an answer from an

Australian photographer. I do not remember what his answer

was. And, come to think of it, I am not sure if the new "Canadian"

Azo was specified, but you might want to check.

Michael A. Smith

Many moons ago I special ordered some panoramic film -- Royal Pan --

through Toronto, and the minimum order was far smaller than in the US -- just

a thousand sheets. It arrived in its own panoramic boxes with its own serial

number. Very satisfying. Now I shall start using Azo for proofing -- I love the

amount of light you have to throw on in, though I shall have to try to find the

graphic arts point source t(Nu-Arc) that worked so well. No more border

hassles. You really learn stuff from this forum.

I have done a bunch of testing of Azo development using Ethol LPD, Neutol WA, Dektol, Michael's Amidol, Edward Weston's amidol, Brett Weston's amidol, Ansco 130, Selectol, Selectol Soft and four others I can't remember right now. All were used at the recommended dilution, as well as two alternate dilutions. Times were worked out by watching to see when the images came up to get very close to a master print I liked(and it was in water for visual comparison while developing).

I am using Michael's Amidol for my work.

In blind comparisons the same images developed in his formulation were chosen as 'looking the best'. I asked 25 photographers and 25 people who liked looking at photos which they preferred & why.

The amidol images were chosen 8 out of 10 times.

I was surprised by such a large number choosing these prints. I thought there would be more variety in choice of which prints looked 'the best'. One description that kept coming up was 'they have more life' as people told me why they chose one over the other.

I use Michael A. Smiths formulation because, for me, the prints I get using it look good. I use the Amidol with Azo for contact printing as well as both enlarging & contact printing with Bergger graded paper.