keep the discs in place and partly to keep those persons from getting

in my way. It is interesting how giving people even such a small

responsibility keeps them in line ;-)

<p>

However I have recently started making photography in churches, and

had a problem that the setups for the silverware takes quite some

time, and the priest or whomever is there to watch over me and the

items gets tired of holding the diffuser/reflector for so long. Also I

quite often need more than one diffuser/reflector.

<p>

So I am looking for some sort of holder for these things. The main

dilemma is that they need to be easily portable yet at the same time

the chance of them falling over must be very close to zero, because

there will be i-replaceable fragile items near them.

<p>

The portability requirement rules out heavy weights to keep stands

from tipping over. Sandbags for weights filled locally, can work when

shooting in the countryside, but does not work when shoting in the

city simply because there will be no source of dirt/sand nearby.

<p>

Have any of you found a neat solution to this problem, either off the

shelf or do it yourself? Im considering suspending the discs from

strings tied to fixed points well beside the shooting area, either

stands placed where they can tip over without smashing anything or

whatever parts of adequate interior happens to be in the right place.

The discs ought to be easy to control this way, both with regard to

height over the floor, rotation around the vertical axis and around

the horizontal axis.

<p>

I will of course get the problem 10x when/if I start using artificial

light instead of reflected and diffused window light. So a solution

that also works for monoheads would be super duper.

Why not just get a litedisc holder <a href="http://www.photoflex.com/photoflex/index.html?products/default.asp?product=litedischolder&1">http://www.photoflex.com/photoflex/index.html?products/default.asp?product=litedischolder&1</a>

<p>

Get a sturdy light stand to attach it to. The discs themselves aren't very heavy so you shouldn't really need anything to counterbalance it. The only thing you might need sandbags for is to weigh down the stand if you're shooting outdoors and it's windy.

<p>

B&H Carries them <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh3/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=42107&is=REG">here</a>

In addition to Tom M's suggestion of a light stand and reflector holder (which I completely agree with), you can get waterbags as well as sandbags. They're made the same way, but with waterproof linings--usually a polyethylene bag inside a nylon fabric container. They can be used for sand, gravel, or water, and there's few places you won't be able to find at least one of those things.<p>

Alternatively or additionally, consider a SuperClamp. It'll hold the reflector holder, and if there's something rigid you can clamp it to near where you want the subject, you're all set. Bogen makes SuperClamps and sell's them under the Bogen and Avenger names (same thing, different knobs), and Matthews sells them as Mafer Clamps. Most larger camera stores will carry them.<p>

Depending on your ultimate needs, a mix of clamps and stands may be best. Check out Avenger's and/or Matthews' web sites for various grip equipment--theres a huge collection of widgets to help "grip" things--lights, flags, gobos, scrims, etc.--which can either directly solve the problem or give you an idea of how to do it with home-made tools.

Matthews has the heavy stands and movable reflectors to do the job. They outfit Hollywood. I think Mole handles Matthews in Hollywood. The problem is expense, and you will need to make a couple of extra trips to your car to break it down. There is a holder for the lightdisc, however. It is as light weight as a cane, about 2 lbs. I think you should only have your assistants raise their reflectors at the last minute. Consider using only reflectors up to 36" for stiffness. Timber Borcherding timberborcherding

Oh, a better system for you is Sunbounce. Use www.google.com to search for Sunbounce. This frame is tight, not loose like yr light disc. It is expensive new, but cheaper than Matthews. You can also make the same thing by using fhi018 and a travel cot. Do a www.google.com search for fhi018 The hardwear to hold it can be purchased at Sunbounce or maybe use a Superclamp. Timber Borcherding timberborcherding

• 8 months later...