viewfinder problem with eos3

popmonkey

i'm starting to think that my eos-3 has developed a problem with

either the mirror or viewfinder. i've noticed that my photos are not

composed the same way that i remember seeing them through the

viewfinder. there is a horizontal offset of perhaps 5 degrees.

what are the most likely causes? misaligned mirror? something in the

viewfinder? has anyone experienced this sort of mechanical failure

and if so, what was done to correct it?

First, be sure it isn't you - have you recently started wearing glasses which might affect what you see in the viewfinder? It might be the reflex mirror or the focussing screen. Check that the focussing screen is properly seated in its slot. If that isn't the cause, then the mirror is suspect, and it will require servicing. Try mounting the camera on a tripod aimed at a wall, using a good flat field lens (macro is ideal), and sticking square post-it notes on the wall in the corners of the viewfinder view. When you examine the negative, it will give a very good idea of the offset.

It could depend on the way the person printed the photos. I have had 4x6's at the 2/3 ratio that had been cropped significantly(sometimes as much as 20%), as well as in a random pattern. This usually happens at the 1hr places, but I have had this happen at "good" pro shops as well. Didn't realize it until I started scanning my own film. I had always thought that it was my fault for not getting the picture framed the way i thought it would be. I do wear glasses.

julian, puppy face, and glen: i did not make prints, i'm working from uncut negatives and positives. (i cut and mount all film myself).

mark u: good advice on doing a test roll against the wall. i'll try it and report my results here.

all: thanks for the responses!

~j