Know a Good Place to Trade Equipment?

john_cook1

Now retired from commercial work, I was poking around the packing

boxes the other day, wondering what to do with some of the equipment.

For example, there are two Cambo 45NX cameras, new, never used, in

the factory nylon cases, with all sorts of accessories like

compendium hoods, lensboards, Cambo tripod heads, coupling block to

join two rails together, 90-degree focusing hood, folding hood, wide-

angle bellows, Beattie groundglass, etc., etc., etc.

The local rinkey-dink camera store never saw anything like this, and

doesn�t know what to do with it. The big NYC stores are impatient

and rude over the phone to country bumpkins like me. And the

learning curve to use e-bay seems beyond me. I don�t have the

studio to shoot pictures of this stuff anymore. No scanner. And I

don�t know a gif from a giraffe.

Does anyone know where there might be a demand for these things? Or

has anyone found a particularly helpful, patient store that takes

trades and has a Senior Citizen Day? Much obliged...

Try Midwest Photo Exchange in Columbus Ohio and talk to Jim. He will give you a quote on what he wants, and might be interested in a trade. You won't get as much as if you sold it to a private party, but I think what he will offer you should be fair when compared to any other photo store. Another option is KEH.com in Atlanta.

Sounds like you have all sorts of things I would like, but the photography purchasing department at my house is closed down for the time being [:-}].

Midwest probably is the best choice- here in NYC the stores are

having a very hard time moving monorail cameras now, and the

market for certain items is shrinking so fast (eg-165mm super

angulons and the like) that they won't even take items like that in

trade.

You could also try www.brooklyncam.com, ask for arnie duren he

has lots of patience and is a great guy. Or also try

www.photogizzmo.com, louis shu is also a great patient guy.

If you sell to a reseller you'll be selling at wholesale, he'll resell at retail.

eBay is the obvious place to go if you want to get a reasonable price for your gear. Placing a listing on eBay is that hard, and you can back out at any stage in the process without incurring any expense.

Its your time, your gear, and your willingness to give up value to others. If they were mine, I'd go to eBay. If not, well, as has been suggested the guys at Midwest Photo Exchange are nice and surely can use the opportunity to turn another buck. Likewise the kind folks at KEH, Ritz Collectibles, Lens & Repro, Calumet, ...

Whatever it is, go for it and don't look back.

Cheers,

Dan

I'd suggest that if you can figure out how to get to this forum, and how to post a message to it, you can figure out how to get something on e bay. They have FAQs and other information that's very useful to new sellers. Basically after you've joined e bay (which is nothing more than sending an e mail message to them) all you do is click on "sell" at the top of their home page. A form will pop up and you just follow the steps in the form. It isn't real complicated. Try reviewing the form without actually putting anything in it just to see what it looks like. The only catch is you really should have pictures of what you're selling so you'll have to make the pictures and get them into your computer. But once that's done it's very easy. Or you could always try selling without pictures, but everyone who knows says that's not the best way to do it.

The guy who told you it's not too hard was right. It's not too hard. If you want some simple pointers, email me and I will help you out. (plerman@mags.net)

I had a big bunch of old pro stuff kicking around and was floored by the amount of interest in my OLD Nikon F accessories, etc. I have lots of fun taking simple digital photos of the stuff with a cheap digital and then writing up a description for the auction. I get great pleasure from it, I get good money and my stuff gets a good home.

I have the advantage of having been a professional photographer for 10 years AND spending the last several years doing website design and programming.

Maybe you could find someone like me in your area to team up with. Some guy I used to work with would give me his sports memorabilia to auction off for him and then give me a percentage or he's give me a dollar figure and everything over that I'd get to keep.

Anyway, on eBay you will get your stuff in front of a VERY large group of buyers and let the market tell you what the stuff is worth.

Good luck.

Thank-you friends for your kind help. I'm ashamed to admit that in forty years of professional photography I had never heard of Midwest.

They sound like just the people to deal patiently with a senior citizen. Think I'll give them a call, right after my nap ;-)