Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.4D vs Nikkor AF 105mm f/2D DC?

hoa_nguyen2

Both of them are great. the 105 DC, in my limited experience, has more flexibility and is more bersatile in general.

I'd keep the 85 for street candids and occassional informal portraits while the 105 Dc is a specialized portrait lens.

It depends on the type of portrait you want.

The best thing you can do if you get either the 105 or 135 DC is to spend time working with it. Take 4 shots in front, one without, and then 4 shots behind. Find out where it works best for you and how to achieve the look you want. Too many seem to get this lens and then not really use it to the fullest of its possibilities.

When I got mine I shot 2 rolls of film - one with each lens - and recorded what I did and then looked at the prints. Now I know that when I decide what I want to achieve, I can get there quickly.

I agree about the 85 for street use (either one of them). With the 85, what you see is what you get. With the DC lenses, you have to learn to get their maximum potential. This is not to say that I haven't used them as straight 105 and 135 lenses -- I have and they are amazing

Conni

This brings up a question I have about the DC lenses. Nikon says that the DC effect cannot be seen in the viewfinder. Why is this? I thought that the big advantage of SLR cameras is that they are what-you-see-is-what-you-get. Are there other optical effects like defocus control which aren't visible in the viewfinder? Is the effect too subtle to be seen in the small viewfinder? What about with digital cameras? Can the DC effect be seen on the LCD?

Yes you can see minute difference with the DC but you got to be very observant and with some time on your hand preferably when you're bored. But what it actually what you see on the viewfinder to your film is another thing. Also its best when you have good lighting to see the effect.

I have the 85mm f1.4D and the 135mm f2D DC and I use them often. The 85mm is great all round but I tend to use the 135mm a bit more, great when your subject is about 3m out. For tight focus its not so good as your limited to 1.1m. AF speed on 85mm is great, 135mm above average on F5. In low light.. 135mm hunts so its best to switch to manual. Both lenses are sharp. 85mm is the sharpest of the two.<div>005ZCZ-13715184.JPG.aa945c3d5a39d40a7536ebad67b3d78a.JPG</div>