ArcaSwiss Discovery w/extension: Longest Lens ?

ken_lee11

I have an Arca-Swiss Discovery with the bellows that it came with,

and a 25cm extension rail. The original 12 inch rail, plus roughly 10

more inches, makes 22 inches. Because the standards ae set in from

the ends of the rail, subtract 3 or 4 inches, and call it 18 inches.

I believe the bellows is described as 16 inches, but perhaps it can

stretch a little longer.

<p>I already use a 400mm Fujinon tele (see <a

href="http://www.kenleegallery.com/wfall.htm" target = "_blank">here)

</a>, but wonder: how long can I go ?

Since 450mm is around 18 inches, could a 450mm Fujinon - or a longer

tele - be used with this combination ? Has anyone done this with the

Discovery ? Thanks !

Ken, based on an earlier recommendation from you, I've got the extension rail on the way from Badger to make my 300mm lens useful with my Discovery. I'm looking forward to it ;-).

Are you talking about the 450mm Fujinon-C? I wouldn't think you could use that lens with the regular bellows. I thought the bellows length was only 15" -- but even if it's 16", I think that's still short of the flange focal distance of that lens (425mm). As I'm sure you know, you could always use the 700mm bellows, which would exceed your rail by far, but I guess that's not what you're asking.

How about the Nikkor T-series? Would the 500/11 (or possibly the 600/9) work? I think they have shorter flange focal distances than the Fuji 450.

Ken, I think you would have to get the long bellows to do what you want. I know that with the long bellows and the extension rail, that I can rack out my 300mm lens pretty darn far for some real closeup work (not my best idea ever, but let's not discuss that!).

Not sure if you are willing to consider a second set of bellows, but thought I would throw that out.

-Jen

On a related note, there is a Fujinon 600T for sale on eBay, and the bellows draw for infinity focus is listed as 384mm. That's around 15 and a half inches. Sounds reaonable, and wll within the range of the Discovery + extension rail.