What's better? Epson 2200 or Canon i9100

I will be buying a color printer by the end of this month. My

question is, which should I go for?

Background information on my needs:

- Computer system is iMac OS X (10.2.X)

- Camera is Canon 10D

- Seeking to balance: quality, price of ownership (not the printer,

but inks, etc.), speed, value, ease of use

Thoughts and insight are greatly appreciated!!!

If you want or need archival prints the Epson is the recomended printer, however if that is not so important to you then go for the Canon - it is much much faster than the Epson.

Quality-wise there is nothing in it, although the Epson will do a better job with B&W as it has both black and grey ink tanks. The Canon will be cheaper to run IMO.

Although I fear this may be a unpopular opinion, I really feel that questions like this are not entirely appropriate anymore. The advantages and disadvantages of both printers have been discussed in great detail on photo.net (in this forum) and indeed reviews abound in both online and print sources. Is a question like this any different from the silly "What's better the nikon 50/1.4 or the Canon 50/1.4" which were so common five years ago. Is it time to establish a moderated, archived digital imaging forum and (as in the main photo.net forum) an unmoderated, unarchived forum?

I appreciate your thoughts on this, but I have searched the Internet high and low for information on the Epson 2200 vs the Canon i9100.

A few things.. there are comparisons between the 2200 and the S9000, but not with the i9100 (which is just hitting the market). Combine that with using a Mac, and there are further issues, i.e. don't have full functionality with the 2200 (such as borderless, etc.). That's why I posed the question.

I do, I own the Canon (the new i9100). It's excellent, and very fast indeed, it prints an A3 in about 2 minutes.

As I said earlier, it doesn't have the archival properties of the Epson or the extra grey ink tank but other than that I would personally choose it over the Epson anyday for its speed and outstanding print quality.

Mark

I'm with you on this having just bought a new G4. My Epson 890 is not working as it did under my previous Win98 PC. If Canon have got true OSX functionality they will get my cash. The Epson UK website has some disclaimers about Mac compatibility which imply that their drivers are missing some functionality because of the way OSX works. It's very irritating not to be able to do borderless printing now or even to centre a 10x8 onto a sheet of A4!

Let us know what you decide.

Cheers

Patrick

Maybe the 2200 (which for some reason is a 2100 here in the UK!) has better OSX compatibility.I wasn't intending to contradict you. I only have an 890 at the moment. There may well be operator error on my part but I can't figure out how to get the result I seek! In making the move to an A3 printer which the output from a Canon10D deserves I want to make a choice that will work well with my Mac as well as giving me excellent results. Since I have no pretensions about my images being worthy of long term display I suspect I could trade of image longevity for ease of use.

No offence intended!

Chris

The primary advantages of the Canon i9100 is the speed and lower cost. It is

significantly faster than the Epson 2200. I've read it makes great color prints.

The primary advantages of the Epson 2200 is the archival inks and the black/

light black inks. It is slower than the Canon, but if you want a print to last 70+

years, this is the printer you want. It makes superior B&W prints over the

Canon because of the two shades of black ink.

I use the Epson with OS X, and as stated twice now, Epson recently updated

their driver software, and it works much better, thought still no manual feed (if

you buy the printer, the software on the disk is likely to be the older version

driver, so you will need to download the new version, which is a small file and

shouldn't take but a minute). Epson blames Apple, and Apple blames Epson.

What's new? Apple has a new version of OS X coming out soon, and the

rumor is that Epson will bring out a new driver then that will will be fully

compatible.

• 5 weeks later...

I've purchased the i9100 printer, use the Canon 10D, Apple iMac LCD and Photoshop 7.

Now, my decision rests on what paper(s) to use for the Canon i9100. Since it's an upgraded version of the S9000, I assume the papers to be used would be similar.

My question: what paper(s) do people suggest:

- Absolute highest quality?

- Longevity?

- Most cost effective?

- More unique/creative surfaces/textures?

I'm very excited, and know I'll need to experiment - but am looking for some guidance.

Finally, any recommendations on properly hooking up/setting up the Canon i9100 with my iMac (OS X)?