bad luck with canon 10Ds

andrew_choi

i am quite disappointed. i had 3 10ds and almost all of them had

some sort of problem. ie: the first one had problems with the info

panel in the viewfinder. did not have the picture remaining number

information. plus, the exposure bar was missing the pointer when

ever it was set to 0. the second camera would often freeze on me

when i would try to change the dials, both the shutter and aperture.

trust me, i did all i could thinking that it was something else. but

in both cases, the problems were obvious and others i know with 10ds

knew that those 2 cameras were defective. in my 3rd case, not even

after a week of shooting (800 frames), i got the infamous 'err99'

message. at first i thought it was the heat, however, it would

return over and over again. i read that this could have been

resolved by using the fake sensor cleaning method, but nothing. then

a day after, after shooting 10 frames, the camera had another err99

message. when i turned it off and then back on, i noticed that the

picture had a black stripe going across the image. i was confused.

so i shot again, and another error. and then another jacked up

image. when i decided to look behind the mirror, i noticed that

there was a shutter blade blocking the sensor. i was very

disappointed that something like this happened. i had done nothing

to cause this. i respect my equipment and clearly i was not at

fault. here is a shot from the camera,

http://www.chapter2photography.com/junk/broken10d.jpg i called

canon, and they were obviously stunned. they could do nothing about

it and im sure it was an easy fix, but of course i still had to wait

3-4 weeks for repair. the irony is i had 2 weddings to shoot that

same weekend. luckily, the store that i bought it from took it back

and promised me another one when they get some in stock. seems like

everyone is back ordered. anyways, just had to share that. i wonder

if that has happened to anyone else. take care.

What lens(es) were using with the camera? I'm not suggesting that a lens would be responsible for all the problems you list, but perhaps some of them. I tried using a Sigma super zoom on my 10D just to see if it would work and I got some pretty strange "behaviors" from the camera before it finally just wouldn't respond while attached to the lens, but it works very well with my Sigma 17-35 (as well as all of my Canon glass, of course).

I hope you don't give up on the 10D - it has worked out so well for so many - I love mine! Good luck to you!

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I've had an EOS 10D for three months and it's been 100% reliable. I had to learn to deal with its narrow exposure latitude but this behavior is consistent and easy to compensate. However, every camera maker produces a few lemons but 3 defective bodies in a row seems unlikely. I wonder if there's some common denominator, e.g., storage in high RFI area, shipper banged the hell out of the entire train load of 10Ds, etc.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Man, I feel for your problems. Talk about bad luck. I guess that this is the high risks when dealing with Hightech "bleading technology". I hope you kept a good film body, just in case...

On the other hand, maybe you should stop feeding your dog in a blue dish... the gods may have mercy on you;)

Seriously, I hope it turns out for the best for you. Bad luck can't last that long. Can't it?

Remember Jobe (or is it Job) had back luck right up to the end of his life. Seriously, 3 defective camera's in a row! Assuming they where from the same shop, they might be pulling the RITZ move of selling demo equipment as new! Just check the first picture number you get!

My 10D has been flawless, well almost flawless, I really want the sensor to have a dynamic range of 10 stops vs the ~5 it currently has, it would also be nice if it had a full frame sensor for the same price.

GS

Even at Hasselblad, quality control sometimes takes a coffee break. And I've had extremely reliable tools suddenly die on me. But 3 defective cameras going to the same customer, is very, very, rare. I know this doesn't help you, Andrew, but be assured that chances that the fourth one is a lemon, too, are effectively zero, despite Murphy's Law which defies mathematics.<p>Even Job had quite a good life <a href="http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=Job+1%3A2-5&NIV_version=yes&language=english">before</a> and <a href="http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=Job+42%3A10-16&NIV_version=yes&language=english">after</a> his <a href="http://www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible?passage=Job+1%3A13-2%3A3&NIV_version=yes&language=english">misfortunes</a>.

Well Gerry, they're working on that latitude issue. :)

Whoever mentioned the cameras being beat to hell during shipping raises a good point I've never thought of. The chances that you get 3 cameras that are defective are so small UNLESS something like a madman with a spaztic goat was kicking around all the cameras during shipping. I've never thought of something like that but its probably a very good explanation for scenarios like this.

To O.S.

It is not true that the chances to get a lemon have decreased after getting three lemons. The chances to get four lemons IN A ROW are very small indeed, but the chance of getting another lemon AFTER three have already been delivered is virtually the same as getting the first lemon (in mathematics that would be the difference between ex ante and ex post probabilities).

The catch is that Andrew might be receiving bodies from the same load. If problems apply to all bodies within a train load (i.e. kicked around during shipping) his chances of receiving another faulty body actually increased dramatically compared to chances of the first one being faulty.

i hope that the 4th time is the charm. i am thankful however that the store that i purchased from is very understanding. i mean, from their side, they probably think i throw my camera around for fun by now. however, i assure you, its not the case. i really miss the camera. i will be purchasing an additional one whenever canon decides to ship out. hopefully the two that i have will be perfect. hoping...

Some years ago, I bought an automotive timing light from a local discount department store. I tried it, and right out of the box, it didn't work. After an number of tests, I determined that it was, in fact, defective. I put it back into the box, with all of the paper work, and returned it.

I was given a prompt an courtious refund, and as I walked around the department before leaving, I noticed the manager placing that item back on the shelf.

No doubt, many items that are returned as defective are re-sold over and over until either someone accepts the merchandise, or they loose hope of being able to sell it.

Personally, after the second try, I would suggest taking the credit, and making a purchase from another source.

Maybe the people who sold you your "D" keep tying to pawn off bad ones, perhaps returns from customers, rather than sending them back to Canon like they should. My first 10D was bad, or had a row bad pixels accross the image. The camera store replaced it on the spot, but I opened up the new one and put it through some basic function tests before taking it home.

I worked for a video camera manufacturer for 14 years, and although we tried to make everything perfect, it was just never that way. Sometimes a whole run of cameras were defective for one reason or another. There are so many parts, optical, mechanical and electrical that go into these modern marvels that it's hard to achieve perfection 100% of the time. That's why there are QC departments and inspectors, but even they don't catch everything. Do you know the serial #s of your defective cameras? Might be interesting to look at.

sorry i dont have the cameras anymore. i am cameraless. i suppose it could have been a bad batch, however, when i purchased my camera, 4 of my other friends purchased them along with me. and their cameras are working fine. maybe im just cursed. i had a d60 for 7 months before i upgraded to the 10d. i never had any problems with my d60. worked like a charm. oh well. i guess ill keep waiting.