I use bulk Provia 100F and has been happy with it. However, since

switching to M, I've encountered the film breaking at the end of the

roll several times. This happens when I continued winding the film

without knowing that it has already hit 36 frames.<br>

So for my coming trip, if I'm going to bring the M, I would like to

use normal film in box. I may think of using Sensia since it is much

cheaper than Provia. I've used the original Sensia before and am

happy with it. But since then, Fuji has change the film several

times. So how the current Sensia? Is it the same film as Astria?

AFAIK the present Sensia is a cheapo version of Provia 100f, its saturation is low, but grain and sharpness are equal to provia IMO. It is not really consistant in color rendition as provia IMO, but well, it only costs half right. Good film by all means but quality is less in my opinion.

Did you freeze your film btw? I have had weird things with freezing recent Fuji but especially Kodak film(breaking, spots), anyway dunno what that is about..... If i dont freeze but only cool it nothing is wrong...

Greetings,

It is my understanding that Sensia is an amateur version of Astia, but am not sure if it has been reformulated as Astia has been reformulated. I have not tried the new Astia, but I really like Sensia; it has wonderful skin tones. FWIW

Sensia 100, both the old "II" version and the following version, were/are amateur versions of Astia (Fuji designations of "RA" for Sensia and "RAP" for Astia--the "P" for "Professional"). Sensia 400, the new version only, is the amateur version of Provia 400F. Sensia also comes in an ISO 200 version but I've never used it and know nothing about its heritage. Unless Fuji has come up with a new designation for Sensia, it has not been changed since the confusing name change from Sensia II to just plain Sensia.

I like Elitechrome 100 (the regular, not the Extra Color). In fact I've still got a bunch of Elite-II about 7 years old in the freezer. The previous Sensia was a great film, equal to the Provia of the day. The current Sensia is the consumer version of Astia, it has nowhere the color saturation of Provia. Is the *film* breaking or is it just coming off the spool? Try a stronger tape like J&J Adhesive tape (the kind used in First-Aid kits, comes in a 2-piece metal spool/cannister).

I really like Sensia. It's true that it is the 'consumer' version (RA) of Astia (RAP) P for 'professional' I assume. Excellent skin tones and good latitude. Of course film is a very personal thing. I only use Velvia occasionally because it doesn't have great skin tones and is pretty contrasty and handles under exposure way better than overexposure. I used it one year for taking pictures in Chinatown, SF during Chinese New Year and felt like I would have been better off with Sensia to handle the contrasty lighting. The 100 speed is also helpful. Currently I seem to be liking Elite Chrome Extra Saturated EBX. The colors are very rich and it is amenable to a little overexposure and handles contrasty situations well. The newest iteration of Astia is supposed to be Fuji's finest grain 35mm slide film - even finer than Provia. I hope this emulsion finds it's way down the food chain to Sensia. Good luck.

i was investigating this question last night.<br />looking at the latest fuji professional guide to film (free in your photo supplier's walk-in fridge) i would surmise that provia 100f and sensia 100 are the same film. ditto sensia 400 and provia 400f. the spectral response curves are identical, the log sensitivity scales are identical, the rms grain measurements are identical, the line resolution tests are identical. in your camera, probably not identical b/c pro film is treated differently.