Leica 90MM F2.8

caliber_60

two Tele-Emarits the earlier one is called the "fat" one and the later the "thin" one. Then there is the early Elmarit (recommended for closeups especailly with a bellows which I have done). For a period the R Elmarit was then the socalled Elmarit and now I believe the present is different still. This does not even discuss the LTM version or the chrome and black versions. I prefer the "thin' one as it's light and small and to me the results are great.

The only 90/2.8 that was ever in LTM is the same as the original Elmarit-M. When all is said and done there is very little difference in performance of any of the 90/2.8's when stopped down to f/4-5.6. However there is significant improvement in contrast in the current version (actually the optical design dates from the 2nd version of the Elmarit-R from 1983)and since the prices of all these lenses second-hand in like condition is within a couple hundred at most, my personal suggestion is to go with the newest version. It also has a built-in shade which is much more convenient than the clip-on-reverse clarinet bell 12575 that makes even the tiny "thin" T-E as long as the current one. I've got the "fat" T-E and the current Elmarit, used to own the "thin" T-E at one time. I only keep the older one now for sentimental reasons.

<<But I might buy a mint used thin Elmarit (TE) -- if I ever find one since it is smaller and lighter.>>

I re-iterate *not* once you factor in the 12575 hood. And you better factor it in because with the rubber hood (or no hood)you need to watch out for flare if there's light sources near the shot borders.

I have used all of the F2.8 90's, and each of them is very good. The latest Elmarit is the "best" overall, especially noted for its contrast from F2.8 - 4, but the thin Elmarit is very good as well (noted for its near range), and available at bargain prices. The earlier fat Tele-Elmarit commands high dollar, and examples of the thin Tele-Elmarit (favoured for its small size) often suffer from rear element "etching". In my opinion neither of the Tele-Elmarits is the equal of the thin Elmarit of the '60s and early '70s , although they are quite good. I use the thin Elmarit 90, along with a 90 SAA. Really, you can't go wrong using any of them. My advice would be to find one at a good price and go shoot some film.

Jay,

"The only 90/2.8 that was ever in LTM is the same as the original Elmarit-M".

Not so. The first M mount Elamarit was "just" called an Elmarit, although as you note, it was also made in LTM. (and kind of rare)

The xxxxx-M designation for Leica lenses didn't come in till the late 60's or early 70's. The 1st version of the 90mm Elamarit never carried the "M" suffix.

I knew if I waited a couple of decades or so I would catch you in an error, small though it may be. Jeez, I'm so excited I may not be able to sleep tonight. (:>))

Best,

Jerry

This are the 90mm M: Elmar 90mm f/4 code: Elang-M 1954-1968. Elmar 90mm M f/4 code: ILNOO/11131 1954-1968. Elmar 90mm M f/4 code: 11830 1964-1968. Elmar-C 90mm M f/4 code: 11548 1973-1978. Elmarit 90mm M f/2.8 code: Elrim/11129 1959-1974. Tele-Elmarit 90mm M f/2.8 code: 11800 1964-1974. Tele-Elmarit 90mm M f/2.8 code: 11800 1973-1989 (this was a new version with the same code #). Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8 code: 11807 blach, 11808 chrome, 11899 titanium 1989-to the present.- hope this help !, beste regards.-