Differences between old Hasselblad backs

ewgrow

Can't find an answer to this anywhere in the archives, so I guess

I'll ask it: What are the significant differences between the old

Hasselblad backs, such as the difference between the 12 and the A12?

I ask because I'm going to get a used Hassie soon, and although I've

read about certain differences in specs, they don't mean much to

someone who has yet to use one of these cameras. I'll appreciate any

explanations of why to buy one type of back over another. Thanks in

advance.

The biggest difference between 12 and A(utomatic)-12 backs is that the older 12 backs must be manually advanced to the first frame after loading (using the peephole). I have a spare 12 back I got for a bargain price and it works fine, but it's a little bit slower to use. I'd pay a bit extra for an A-12, just for the convenience.

I think people have pretty much covered the difference there. The A12 (A is for automatic) is a later version & gives you a frame counter rather than a hole in the back & there were a few other revisions. The older '12 on' back are getting pretty ancient now. I would go for ok condition A12 backs as there's likely to be more life left in the mechanics. Teeth on the gearing wears after a while & winding on starts to get a bit eratic followed by a gear toothe breaking casusing frame overlap & other pains.

Repairs are costly to Hassy gear & it's probably going to be cheaper to buy another second hand back than pay shipping & repairs on a broken one. Saving a few pounds may be a false economy.

hope that helps

Gavin