Books on composition recommendations

michael_keran

I've taken a look at a lot of the "how-to" books on photography, however they tend to spend most of their pages on the basics of photo technique and devote only a few pages to composition. Can anyone recommend books that focus primarily on composition? How about photo workshops? Any recommendations for workshops where the bulk of the time is spent on composition rather than entry-level technique? I've never tried any of the photo workshops as I'm hesitant to put that much time and money down if I don't know what I'm going to get... Thanks in advance.

Two which come to mind (and which specifically relate to nature

photography) are <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0517880342/0732-9900719-213192">

The Art of Photographing Nature</a> by Art Wolfe and Martha Hill and <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0817454306/0732-9900719-213192">Photographing the Patterns of Nature </a>by Gary Braasch

<p>

Both contain some references to technique. I don't know of any nature

specific books which concentrate solely on composition. There are

general photography texts on composition though, such as <a href="

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0817440135/0896-5900869-631720">Image : Designing Effective Pictures (Amphoto Photography Workshop

Series)</a> by Michael Freeman (now out of print? I picked up a

copy less than a year ago).

John Shaw's books have some very interesting photos in them that illustrate composition. Even thought his Landscape Photography book is not soley limited to composition, his example photos make for interesting subjects to study. I will page through them and try to figure out why I like or don't like a particular photo. I guess you can do the same with a book of great paintings also.

<P>There should be books on composition in the Art how-to section of your local bookstore or library. A classic art history book like <I>Art Through the Ages</I> is probably a good source for a lot of theory, too.

<P>You'll learn why Leonardo da Vinci's <I>Mona Lisa</I> changed the nature of portraiture forever.

<P>Many landscape painters of the 18th and 19th century developed the compositional theories that are practiced by photographers, painters, videographers, cinematographers, etc. today.

<P>Michael, if you're close to a university, it's probably pretty easy to audit a class on theory and criticism of photography (as long as you can work it into your schedule). Minimally you should be able to obtain a required reading list, go to the campus bookstore and buy the books.

• 2 weeks later...

How about software for your computer? Try BetterPhotography:Learning to see. It also comes with a book which contains what is in the software. Pretty good.

I also liked the book: Designing Wildlife Photographs by Joe McDonald

I agree with Bob Atkins: the Art Wolfe / Martha Hill collaboration taught me more about photography than any other, except maybe the classic Shaw text on field techniques...those two books belong in everyone's library I think: mathematically speaking, the rest of them can be derived from these two. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
I found one book that is really very good on composition. It is "Learning to See Creatively" by Bryan Peterson, Published by AMPHOTO, l5l5 Broadway, New York, NY 10036. For catalog, write to them. Soft cover book, $18.95. I purchased it in my local camera shop. Check it out.

Why do you think you need a book to teach you composition? Forget it. Look at them and at the magazines and figure out what you like. Then take your personal likes and experiment with camera & film and try to develop YOUR personal vision as it is expressed on film.

Use imagination, not rules. You don't get this from books. Go by that and you will be just one more dull, boring rule bound waster of silver on paper. Next thing you know you will be in PSA, that refuge of the rule bound and enemy of the creative spirit.

<P><B>Followup to Dan Smith's post:</B>

<P>Books are <EM>very</EM> helpful concerning composition when they are not strictly "photography composition" books.

<P>A good Italian Renaissance (for example) art history book is far superior than "just winging it" and is more accessible to those who can't afford to visit 5-10 museums in Europe. I can <EM>see</EM> the composition of the <I>Mona Lisa</I> in an art history book.

<P>And guess what? Artists used to go to exhibitions, museums, etc. and get inspired/repulsed by the art shown and went off to do their own thing. Going to see the <I>Stieglitz at Lake George</I> exhibit at the MOMA was quite inspiring; so are various books on Stieglitz and art during the early 20th century. But I mentioned such things in my original post.

<P>Magazines are crap. The best reason to buy a photography magazine is for their advertisements. I do.

<P>People who ask for all-encompassing formulae for photographic perfection will be just a disappointed as cooks looking at recipes for perfect cooking results.

• 2 weeks later...
I am currently reading a fine book on photography and composition. The book is "Photographic Composition: Guidelines for total image control through effective design". The authors are Grill and Scanlon. The book covers plenty of material so it will give the ignorant (like me) lots of information. It is not light reading but it is not heavy either. It does have lots of illustrations and it is written specifically for photography so it takes into account the advantages and limitations of photographic tools.

I found and bought a John Shaw book a few months ago that I don't recall ever hearing anyone mention. It is called "John Shaw's Focus on Nature", and is primarily focused on the creative aspects of photography, such as composition, form, texture, color, etc. It consists of lots of fantastic John Shaw images, with his commentary on the creative decisions that went into the making of each photograph. Fantastic book!

• 5 months later...
I confronted the same dilemma several years ago. I like many of the suggestions that have already been made. One that has not been mentioned I think you would find useful is Bill Smith's "Designing a Photograph: Visual techniques for making your photographs work," Amphoto, 1985; I think it is still in print. Mr. Smith discusses some of the psychological aspects of the various principles of composition, and includes separate sections on black-and-white and color photography.

A simple, inexpensive, potentially helpful book is The Art of Seeing, from Kodak via Silver Pixel Press. This is one of the Kodak workshop style books, and it is a good single evening read.

<p>

Anopther idea is to browse the stacks at your local library. I think photography is around 770 in the Dewey Decimal System.

First, analyze what you like in an image. Then, look at works by your favorite artists(of whatever discipline) and find a number you like. Then analyze what they did to get the results that attract you. then go out & try to duplicate the feeling, not the actual photo. If you have to, order one of the framing cards from Picker & Zone VI, or make one yourself & start looking at the world through the framing perspective ofthe lenses & film format you normally use.

Then, photograph & analyze the results. Good luck

• 1 month later...
I have most of the books mentioned previously but one of my favorites is "Principles of COMPOSITION in Photography" by Andreas Feininger published by Amphoto. Mr Feininger was for many years considered the daddy of the photography teachers having published many books relating to photography. The book was published in 1973 so you will have to buy a used one. Try amazon.com.