Jupiter 85mm?

I have a Jupiter 50/2 that is quite a good performer, comparing

favorably to my new CV 50/2.5. It focuses fine on my R2.

I remember reading that the Jupiter 85/2 has focussing problems on

some non-Russian cameras. Anyone out there using this lens

successfully on a Bessa?

Also, any recommendations for reliable Ebay sellers of Russian gear?

I've used Fedka before, but other thoughts are appreciated.

I have bought items from people in the Unkraine but a Russian man stiffed me for a $15 50mm collapsible and I stopped buying from them. I'm also turned off by the delays in shipping. I have the Jupiter 85, white edition, and it is a little stiff but a very good, contrasty lens and I use it on a Bessa R and Russian rangefinders. The lens has become popular and gone up in price on ebay in the last 9 months. They are hard to find from American sellers.

Steven, I actually asked the same question and no one has answered me on the FSU forum and here. My only solution is to try it for myself. I plan on it this weekend. As to a seller I can recommend, I'll give you my favorite. Alex-photo on ebay. I've bought dozens of things from him with no problems at all. The Jupiter 9 that I bought did have a stiff focusing ring and the aperture ring was stiff. From dried lube I presume. I sent it to Oleg in the Ukraine and he sent it back as good as new. Oleg is the repairman to use with all FSU camera gear. His link is: <a href="http://www.okvintagecamera.com/parts.html">Oleg Photocameras</a> He also sells stuff too.

The Jupiter 85/2 is a particularly tricky lens to find in good shape. It has great optics but over the years the lube has hardened up in the focusing helicoids. Anyone who has taken out the element groups to relube is a braver man than I am, Gunga Din. They seldom get them back together correctly and there are a lot of misaligned lenses floating around. Ever repair people who know what they are doing have problems getting them back together correctly. I was fortunate to find one that hadn't been tampered with. The focus is stiff but it produces great pictures.

It's very, very hard to get a really good one of these. I finally gave up on mine and got a CV 75mm 2.5, which is sharper, smoother, smaller and focuses more accurately. A good purchase, I think.

I actually really liked some of the photos I took with the Jupiter-9, but it was just inconvenient to use -- I didn't want to dedicate a body to track with it, since that body wouldn't work with any other lenses, and it wasn't possible to fix it to track on a normal body. Believe me, I tried. I'm pretty good with lens repairs, but it wasn't possible -- the pitch of the threads was wrong. I got by with it for a while by knowing approximately the focus error at different points and compensating for it manually. Worked all right for most stuff. . . but I'm definitely much happier with the CV 75.

OK; My odds with the Jupiter-9 85mm F2 are only 1 in 3 units focused OK; and it came from Russia; is 59 vintage; is stiff; and has not been butchered by pseudo repairmen. The two black 1970's lenses both have missfocus; that cannot be fixed. The pitch of the helix is slightly missmatched to the focaL length. Both came from the USA; one from a Russian seller; another from an American. With these lenses; one can adjust the infinity to be correct; but the close missfocuses, This happens on Leica M3 with adapter; Bessa R; and all my Russian bodies..Because the focal length is not matched to the helix pitch; the lens cannot be fixed. One can adjust a Russian or Leica body to track a bastard lens; but then all ones other correct lenses will missfocus. With Bessa R; it is even worse; there is no close focus adjustment for its roller. A Bessa R and a Jupiter-9 is a light weight settup; I bought 3 lenses to get one that is ok. Many Americans sell off their bad ones. I have bought 4 Russian lenses from Americans; only one is OK...Many dump the missfocusing ones on Ebay...<BR><BR>The Jupiter-8 50mm F2 has a good reputation; most all of mine are good. <BR><BR>

The mechanics of my two black 1970's Jupiter-9's are slightly different than my 1959 chrome Jupiter-9. Both of the black lenses had been RE-greased by sellers. They didnt even bother to remove all the old grease! One unit had horrid missfocus; they had reassembled it wrong; which is real easy to do. The lens block entire assembly can be unscrewed; it has a super fine pitch thread. The Lens cam location is determined by several helical entries; and the position/location of pin; in one of several slots. With all the combinations; one can find one that is slightly longer; and lap the lens cam to be true. Then one's RF patch will align; when the lens is at infinity on its scale; without any lens block in place. Then one screw in place the lens block; and set its infinity position. Now the lens will focus perfectly at infinity; and the RF patch will be matched too. When focusing close; the lens block rides along with the helix; and the lens cam moves at a different rate. Here is where the mess starts; with tolerances goofing up the mix

In Summary; the Jupiter-9 85mm F2 has missfocus problems; in 2 out of the 3 lenses I have bought; when used on a calibrated Leica M3; Bessa R; or all of my Russian camera bodies. The two duds cannot be fixed; and have missmatched focal lengths to helix pitches. One can spend hours getting them to all work at infinity; but 2 of mine have missfocus; that gets progressively worse at close distances. Since the lens cam rotates; one could hand lap this surface; to force correct tracking. It is an interesting task; filled with labor.

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'll skip this particular adventure.

To Andrew: Nice image. Do you also have or did you consider the CV 90 APO? I've never used a 75 and am wondering if it might seem too close to a 50. I know this all boils down to preference, but for a short tele, why 75 over 90 or vice versa?

I thought about the CV 90; it is a very good lens, no doubt about it. However, I thought it was awkward to use on my Bessa-R, especially considering that I already had a 100mm for my SLR.

On trying the 75, I found that I really like the focal length. You get a narrower field of view than a 50, but no too much "tele" look; it's pretty easy to isolate subjects, but you don't compress perspective as much as with a 90. I like it a lot for portraits -- it just seems more natural (plus I like to work pretty close to my subjects). The actual lens is quite good at 2.5, better at f/4, brilliant at 5.6.

See if you can get ahold of one for a week or so before buying; it's really a personal preference thing. If you want a lens to get you closer to your subjects, you probably shoot a 90 or a 135 (if you could figure out how to focus a 135 with a Bessa). I use my 75 more like a long normal than a telephoto, and I love it. It's exactly what I needed.

<p><i>"The term "Russian Roulette" is particularly appropriate when describing the purchase of Russian photo equipment."</i>

<p>Jay,

<p>Not Russian Roulette, more like buying a used car without being able to sit in it or even getting the chance to kick the tires. :-)Most of the stuff is old and in some cases crap (can I say that?), but overall a good value if you know what you are doing. I wouldn't recommend this gear for the non-tinker-er or camera aficionado. Remember this stuff was built for the masses. ;-)

<p>

<p>If anyone is interested, this link has some of the finest FSU cameras you will ever see.

<p><a href="http://www.geocities.com/fzorkis/index.html">Rangefinder Cameras of the Soviet Era</a>

I was 0 for 3 on the 85 f2.0 Jupiter lenses in LTM. None focused right at all rendering them all useless. I have one that fits a Contax rangefinder and that one focuses fine, is sharp & contrasty except wide open. The focus feel of the lens is like sandpaper even after it was lubed however.