Velvia 100F Landscape experiences please!!

syd

Simon - I used to have trouble scanning E100, especially in highly saturated areas, but I did like the film overall. So far, I'm very pleased with the V100F. Scanning-wise, I seem to be getting out good detail and color, but needing to kick it a little to return the saturation of the slide. [Not unusual, I know, for scans of most saturated films, but I thought I'd mention it.]

<P>

Anyway, here's one more with much green and red. This may not be the best of the set, but here it is anyway. [it's possibly a touch underexposed.] I've also added a <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/1731285">different one</a> to my portfolio here.

Enjoy.

Well thanks to all for filling me in and keeping my curiosity and anticipation to a minimum while I've been waiting for my results. I'm happy to report that this is a wonderful film with enough saturation to satisfy the colour popping tendencies of this landscape photographers personal requirements.

I shot a roll of 35mm 100F in late afternoon conditions in the Mtns where I live where the natural light was extremely blue (shooting allot of waterfalls) and there was allot of shade. I rated the film at 100 and bracketed shots from 4-15 secs, some with a combination of Polariser, 81B, and others without. I wanted to test the film in relation to filters, longer exposures, grain, contrast and palette.

The results I got back are just so incredibly sharp... killer! I like the films more neutral balance and can't see where I have lost anything in regard to Velvia 50 which could produce more screaming greens than this. I like the greens that the 100F produces and the whites are very nice indeed. The film isn't overly forgiving of overexposed highlights so you need to be careful in this regard. Even if you shoot for the highlights you will want to be careful of the shadows falling off very quickly, so overall careful metering is a caveat here.

What can I say... see you when I get back from Spain with 38 rolls of the stuff developed and scanned!

Best, Simon

Ilkka (excuse my last mispelling)

I am leaving for Spain Monday and have no access to a 120 film scanner right now. I'll make a note of it though and see if I scan something of them when I get back. The problem for me is it's costly to scan those images which I have no use for so financially I lose out just to show the results of bad film. Not only did I have to pay for bad film but then I have to pay to get it scanned to show how bad it was! :) I lose out at every turn...

Believe me though when I say you wouldn't touch that film with what was going on with a 40ft barge pole. It looked like the film was shot through a soft filter and the highlights were all soft and hazey. This happened on about 50% of shots from that batch. The film was returned to the pro film store I bought it from and they sent it back to Kodak who as usual neglected to reply. I have never used GX since and I was among the first in Australia to use the stuff, because I was so excited about the *NEW* film! What a let down. I have asked around and people are not too keen on the GX and say the G looks flat but is ok, but not as good as the E100-S. I would agree with that statement as I can't see any improvement on the E100-S or SW films and Kodak have only suceeded in alienating me from their pro films, apart from VS.

Best, Simon

My guess is that you got an initial bad batch. I don't think E100GX is the best film for landscapes (a bit brownish) but I've had very good experiences with it as a general purpose film, and no obvious problems so far. I only started using it regularly in June.

I'm looking forward to trying Velvia 100F as a landscape film though, the examples in this thread show that it has promise. I wish these films weren't so contrasty though, had problems with that in E100VS and Velvia (50). The greens seem to have become more down-to-earth in the 100F stuff. If I don't like it then I'll keep using Elite 100 and the E100 films.

Ilkka,

The problem I have with the batch theory is that batches of film occur in the thousands of rolls! I think it was a bad batch but lord knows how a few pro-packs end up like that when the rest maybe don't? In any case I will shoot a test roll of G again soon and see how I like it.

I've shot a number of 100F 120 rolls by now, and it is pretty good for summer landscapes, in general. It does not push well on sunny days (too much contrast,) and while skin tones are acceptable they still aren't as good as E100G or E100GX. I will probably continue to use E100G for my winter film since it gives such clean whites.

Forty rolls does not sound like much film for a month to me. I try to bring about 5 rolls/day. My trip to Colorado last month was twelve days and even with it being a family vacation I managed to shoot 72 rolls.

One thing I would NEVER do is go on a major trip with a film I had little or no experience with. I do try new films of course, but only in small quantities on subjects I've been shooting for years locally. If I like and can predict the results, only then do I buy a quantity and take it on a major road trip. I hate surprises!

Kent in SD

Kent'

My film of choice was usually E100-S and they took that off the market and I cannot buy enough of it as it's run dry where I am. You are assuming that 40 rolls is all I'll be shooting whilst in Spain... I can buy film in London and Madrid as well and I plan on doing so when over there as my need arises. As for knowing the film, well I have run a test shoot and I have a very good idea of what I am dealing with now, it doesn't take more than a roll or two for me to find my feet with film and I have London ahead of me for more experimentation before Spain if need be. Another thing to note is that there may be days when I shoot nothing at all, I think it's all about picking your battles rather than blowing your load all at once...

• 1 year later...