clunky aperture ring on 1:2 35mm asph cron

This is a screw mount 1:2 35mm Cron ASPH and new. (brass) It is also

my 1st experience with a Leica Lens. I find that there is a medium

amount of play on the aperture ring. For all the talk of quality and

German Engineering, I find such a feature nothing short of sloppy. Is

my lens in need of attention or are such tolerances simply tolerated.

I am not sure what you mean by a "medium amount of play." Perhaps you should go try out some other lenses at a Leica dealer and see if the lens has a problem or if your expectations are too high.

Regards,

Scott

Aperture rings on many if not most of the post-1990 designs are quite wiggly and the detents engage very slightly. I you want a Leica lens's aperture ring to have a silky, viscous feeling and smartly go "snick" into each detent, you'll want to get an older one.

Even the black mount lenses from the 1970's have aperture rings with more slop than the older chrome on brass mounts. It really has no effect on anything. You'll need to find a first edition 8 element 35mm Summicron to get that silky yet positive aperture ring feel. Your lens is in need of attention, without doubt! It needs lots of love, it needs to feel like you enjoy taking it out on photographic excursions. It really wishes that you'd be less insecure and neurotic about what should be the start of a life long relationship.

Tony, I think that you are not used the 'leica' feel. The smaller sized lenses in particular have a very loosely bearing coupled aperture ring which you may either love or hate. I personally love them as I can change the aperture just by sliding one finger along the ring. You wont be able to do this with other lenses because they are so stiff. By all means take it back the shop, but I think its normal.