If your pictures cannot be shown to anyone but yourself, would you still take pictures?

travis1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No - absolutely not.

There's no point to doing anything like that unless others have a chance to see it. Film directors do not make movies for themselves - above everything else they wish others to see what they've created.

This is why I dislike the idea of photography as a 'hobby'. Very few people on average will see the results of what you've worked for. There is no point.

that's pretty much the way it is now, Trav. I shoot, mostly with a P&S now, stick the filmn in the fridge for a couple of weeks or until I mostly forget what it was that I photographed and then have the stuff processed. I window matte the stuff I like, store it in a box, stack the boxes in a closet. Every now and then, pull a box out for a "museum session". one of the few endeavors in life where I haven't needed anyone's approbation 'cept my own.

Odd question and answers. Since I take photos even when I don't have a camera with me, I can hardly object to taking photos when no one else will see them. The challenge of the camera is to see if I can capture what I see with it. To find out, I have to look at the results. I do like to compare my own opinion with others to see if there is something I might be missing, or vice versa. Group "seeing" versus my own. The photos have to live or die by themselves; I never try to defend any of them. Once created they're on their own.

I want to rule the (photographic)world. I want every ad agency

and magazine photo editor dreaming of hiring me. I want gallery

owners of good repute fawning over me like worthless toadies.I

want critics to fear me, the public to love me, and supermodels

to fight over me. I want every (whisper-quiet)click of my shutter to

be a masterpiece. My point is it doesn't matter what you want, at

the end of the day it comes down to you connecting a viewfinder

to your eye and trying to make something out of nothing. This is

not easy. I would still.

Tom

Being able to give photos to my friends and family has always been the best part of photography for me. Sure, it's allowed me to avoid a "real" job. But I'd be happy to work in a fast food joint as long as I still got to give my friends images of our adventures. There is no greater thrill for me than going to someone's house and seeing an image of mine in a frame on the wall.

But would I take them if only I could see them?

Of course I would.

I think there are a number of issues here, but I would still take photos if no one else could see them. For right now, the vast majority of photos I take are not seen by anyone other than me and the disembodied eye of the developing machine. That said, since I have started taking pictures, I have really begun to see the world in a different way...I notice more shapes and colors and levels of light. I remember being a little kid, and my father, an excellent photographer, pointed at a some trees standing out against dark sky with sun shining on them. He told me how that light could make a great photograph. He would always point out interesting light or color contrasts to me. As I grew up, I realized to my surprise that not many people appreciated the beauty and diversity of light. A shame. This all came of photography, yet it has nothing to do with the actual pictures...so yes, most definitely I would still take them, even if only to sharpen my perception of the world.

Yes, because the pleasure is in viewing the final product, if it captures what I wanted and has aesthetic integrity (satisfying composition, tones). In this case, it will bear viewing over and over again.

Exploring whether my photos also please others, and thus whether the thing I sought to capture and my artistry in doing so have any universal appeal, obviously appeal, otherwise I wouldn't belong to this community - but they're not essential.