Break for a little projector information

jerry_pfile1

I have made do with two Kodak Carousels in the past 40+ with little

to no problems. The first was one of the originals (as in made of

cast iron or the equivalent) with my current one an Ektagraphic

IIIATS, mounting a 60mm (sticker on barrel says 57.1) Schneider PC

Cinelux AV MC. I really can't complain about the set-up.

However, in one of the area pawn shops, I ran across a Pradolux RT

300, with a Colorplan f/2.5 90mm (Portugal). While in LN condition,

it has to be almost 30 years old as the Model/Serial plate (300-000,

and 23 0r 24,000 or so) Notes that it is not only E. Leitz but when

they were in Rockleigh, NJ. Included is an IB, for a "RT300/AV.

Now before anyone kicks me to the archives, I've been there and still

have some questions as some of the info therein appears to be

conflicting.

The main question surrounds the "Carousel" type trays. Will this

projector accept regulation 80/140 Kodak trays, or only

Carousel "type" trays made by Leitz/Leica?

Several posts in the archives centered on jamming with 140 trays,

while others appeared to have no problems. Likewise, many posts

mention balky AF performance. Are these experiences random, or

general given the age of such units? To use an old flyers adage, are

they "Hanger Queens" and more importantly are they repairable

currently?

Are Pradoluxes of this vintage rebadged Kodak products or made by

Leitz?

While the comments on the Colorplan were generally favorable, it had

its share of detractors. Were the latter just picky, or is somethig

like a Navitar a better performer.

Finally, what is a fair price for this set-up? Owner asked $425, but

has anyone had any recent experience with this combination?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

I don't know the model you are asking about, however:

I may be wrong, but surely Leitz/Leica only started making projectors to take carousel holders recently, and went with a universal straight 50 slide magazine before that, which worked fine, then a compatible 80 slide magazine that jammed a lot.

The 90 Colourplan is a good lens in all versions; edge to edge sharp. The only issue is curved or flat field.

Sorry, I cannot answer most of your questions, just share my experience: I now use a humble Pradovit P150 with a Colorplan P2 2.5/90mm lens. While I haven't seen a Navitar yet, this combination yields the best quality of projected slides I've seen on that level (use at home; I also enjoyed a pro slide show weekend, where they used the pro-end of Leica projectors and lenses, and that was also truly amazing, in a large concert hall with a huge screen, still very bright etc.).

Regarding curved or flat field: Leica does not produce the curved field lenses any more; they claim that those were only necessary for paper board mount slides, and that modern glass-less plastic mounts would be fine with a flat field lens.

Jerry they were made by Singer Corporation for Leitz Rockleigh on or about 1982. Singer's machine was I think called the caramate and leica just added the colorpan lens to them. They advertised at the time that the condensers were also of their design. The first run of them did not work with a lot of dissolve machines so they had to be retuned. The lens is sharp but with my machine I dont get edge to edge sharpness. I have used all type of Kodak trays with this machine and I just refrain from the 140 trays because of their jamming propensity. I have seen them from 250 to 325 when up for sale. I had mine recently fixed. The autofocus on the machine works but it hunts a little too much for me at times. I have had 2 of them, this last one I use now sparingly. Its not worth 425- remember it was a singer caramate machine.

My parents now have my Leitz projector from the early 80's, it worked flawlessly, if I recall correctly I paid somewhere around $300 for it new at a sale, it has a 90mm lens F3.5 to F4.5 or so (my memory is foggy). Options included a zoom lens for the thing, a fast 90 (F2.8 or so), other options included lenses designed for "glass mounted" slides instead of the bowed cardboard/plastic ones. The version I had also took ALL the Kodak options at that time for trays including the stack feeder (which I used alot). I also recall the Kodak trays EU versions where half the cost of Leitz ones, even though they where equivalent.

My version was made by Kodak in West Germany, the only difference was the lens.

GS

I remember selling the pradolux 300 about 20 years ago while working at a Leica dealership. The secret of these singer-made devices is that they had an adapter flange to adapt the Kodak lens mount on the projector to the Leica Colorplan lens. With this simple plastic piece you could adapt almost any leitz projection lens to a Kodak Carousel/Ektagraphic projector (which were much better quality than the singer job). The only problem if I remember right is this plastic sleeve listed for over $100 in the leica catalog!

I have an RT 300 with a 90mm f2.5 Colorplan. It's been back twice for repair; however, it's useful to preview a program that demands the Carousel trays. It takes both the 140 and the 80-slide trays. I prefer the 80, for as mentioned above, the 140 tends to misfeed every now and then (especially during a show!)

For our own use, at home, we have a 2002 that takes the straight straight trays.

If you are "stuck" with Carousel-type trays, I'd suggest staying with what you have. If you finally need a new projector, go for a the top-of-the-line Ektagraphic. My wife belongs to a social club that recently purchased two of the current Leica projectors. I believe they are made by the Ektagraphic factory. Loads of bells and whistles for $$$$ more.

Note that the RT300 was a Leitz US-only product, never sold worldwide or had any ties whatsoever to Leitz Wetzlar. To make matters worse I was told by Leica USA that they are no longer servicing this model due to no parts availability. However someone who repairs Singer projectors should be able to service the important mechanisms assuming they have a parts stock...there are no new parts available from Singer. Every other Leica/Leitz projector ever made is still servicable by Leica. I have an Ektagraphic IIIATS like you, with a Schneider lens (the Vario Prolux)as well as an RT-s (with the Super Colorplan PRO)and the "Leica" (RT-s/RT-m are actually Kodak Germany projectors with Leica trim and lensmounts)is a very quiet machine by comparison to the Kodak, but otherwise the Leica is a huge ripoff. If I were you I'd stick with the Kodak.