Digital and Rangefinder

You're referring to the Digilux1 compact camera, right? If so, you should try a search

on www.dpreview.com.

I bought one as soon as it was released, and was disturbed by what is commonly

being described as the "posterization" effect. The digilux 1 and the Panasonic LC5 are

supposed to be the same camera but with different shells. In fact, though, the Digilux

is a bit better in how it processes images. But, both are poor in rendering tonal

information. If you look at the sample images of the LC5 on www.steves-

digicams.com, you'll notice in the still-life samples that the shadow tones are not

rendered as tonal gradations, but instead as small dots. In small prints, these dots

probably blend a bit and may give the impression of tone in inkjet prints on soft

paper. But, compare those same pictures to those of something like even the 'old'

Canon G2. The Canon's shadows are smooth, gradated, tones, as they should be. The

digilux also posterizes things like hair and skin....

There are, however, a significant number of people who are happy with the Leica.

There has been considerable debate even as to the existence of the any of the

aforementioned image "defects." Who's right? Well, i don't think you'll find anyone

who can accurately say that the Digilux 1 images BETTER than the competitive

cameras. Some like the responsiveness of the camera, some like the colours it

renders, some are happy to attach themselves to the Leica marque.

My best advice: read as much as you can stand. If you're still interested, buy from a

dealer who will give you ample time to test it and return it for full refund/credit. If

possible, buy another camera as well and compare the output. My feeling is that if

you're critical about image quality, you'll not keep the Leica. If handling and

responsiveness is more important, you may. But, i'd suggest you look into the Sony

V1, Sony 828, Canon G3-G5, and Olympus 5050. For something smaller, the Canon

S50, Konica KD-510z, Contax TVS Digital....