17-40 4L

50 1.8

70-200 2.8 IS

Maybe upgrade the 50 to the 1.4 later on, but that's not really a

priority.

I'm comfortable with the focal length coverage. What do you guys

think about this three lens setup? Any changes you think I should

make?

I have a 17-40mm f/4L, and it's a great wide-angle lens, although I own a 10D, so I really can't appreciate its full potential...

I, too, recommend that you also consider the 50mm f/2.5 macro as a good compromise between the 50 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.4. It's price is between these two, although a lot closer to the f/1.4, and it'll serve double duty as a close-up/macro lens. (Disclaimer: I went through this last month, and bought the f/2.5 macro.)

On the long end, I decided on the 70-200 f/4L, because of its smaller size and weight vs. the 2.8's (OK, and the cost). I'm no pro, and I've never used the 70-200 f/2.8, with or without IS, so I don't know what I'm missing, but I don't miss it. (Does that make any sense?)

My fourth and final lens is the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. Reputedly the most humble lens in this line-up, but it's my "walking around" lens of choice for outdoors. (For indoors, I keep the 17-40 mounted.) A great alternative for your new film body would be the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS.

When I don't want to lug my full kit around, I'll usually have one of these three zooms mounted, and carry the 50mm macro in my bag.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and have fun shopping!

They are all excellent lenses and you made very good choices. My only question is whether the 17-40 range is really needed for a film body ? If not, I'd go for 24/2.8, 35/2 and 70-200 IS. In fact, that's exactly the kit I was planning for myself when I scouted mint 85/1.8 and 200/2.8 at 60% of the IS price. Thus - for the wife's peace of mind - I bought them.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

It's hard to say good or bad unless you tell us what you're planning to do with them.

I'm sure the 70-200 f/2.8 is a great lens (I have the non-IS) version, but it's a real boat anchor to carry around. So if you're not working professionally and are planning to travel a lot, for example, you'd probably be better off with the f/4 or a prime telephoto.

I've been using a 70-200/4 for a while and rented the 70-200/2.8 non-IS to try out for the weekend. It's a monster. I have big hands and could barely reach around the lens. It weighs a ton and IMO, is just ludicrous to tote around unless you're getting paid for your work. The f/4 is just as good, half the weight and a quarter of the price. Spend the difference on a 135/2 or 85/1.8, they're faster than the 2.8 IS and (without igniting another debate) at least as sharp as the zoom.

BTW, I've tried to buy 3 50/1.4s and found them all defective (focusing mechanism, scratched *internal* elements from the factory, etc. Build quality on these lenses as far as I'm concerned is not up to snuff, esp. for the price. I'm sticking with my mk 1 50/1.8.