Aperture Setting with Nikon N80 and Nikon 28~105 mm f3.5~f22D

pramod_kumar

I am a Beginner, I bought a Nikon N80 with Nikon 28~105 mm f3.5~f22D

Lens. I have couple of Questions ..

1. How do I setup Aperture on this Lens on Nikon N80? When I try to

setup left dial on manual and set aperture, The LCD screen

shows 'FEE--' on the display and it doesnot work till i reset this

back.

2. What is the depth of field Button ? And when & why it is used ?

3. What is the Macro button on the Lens ?

I greatly appreciate all your responses

Hi Pramod,

<p>

1) You set the aperture using the dial in front of the shutter button. With older Nikon camera bodies, you set the aperture on the lens... the N80, as far as I know, only allows you to use the dial. You'll want to set your lens at the smallest aperture for this to work (f/22). There should be a little switch on the lens itself to lock the aperture at that setting too (so you don't accidentally bump it and get "FEE--").

<p>

2) Normally, when you're looking through your viewfinder, you're looking through the lens wide open; that is, with the biggest aperture possible (smallest "f number"). Choosing a smaller aperture will give you more depth of field -- more of the picture will be in focus. By pressing the DOF preview button, you can check the depth of field at your selected aperture. <a href="http://www.photo.net/making-photographs/exposure">Photo.net tutorial that describes aperture and depth of field.</a>

<p>

3) I don't have that lens, but I have other Nikon lenses. The macro button (or switch?) allows you to focus really close.

<p>

Hope this helps,

3. The macro/normal switch allows you to switch the lens into a mode where it is used to take macro photos (focus very close so that the object is magnified a lot). Note that on the focus ring and zoom ring there are certain ranges that are allowed for macro mode (marked with an orange line). Sometimes the lens will not allow you to switch into macro mode (or back in to normal mode) if the rings are not in the right range.

For example, if the lens is set to 28mm, you cannot switch into macro mode. Or if the lens is in the orange marked focus ring range, you wil not be allowed to switch back into normal mode.