Most People don't know why they use LEICA. Except some Pros.

chuck_t

From the previous Voigtlander or getting a Leica 50mm lens reply, I

can see almost no one explain the main points of using Leica lens.

Some people even suggested me to try the Japanese made Voigtlander

50mm F1.5 lens. Others like most of you think, ¡§I work hard , I

deserve one¡¨. Small pencentage think because of the ¡§ego status¡¨ or

their Self-Esteem. The worst I heard is, ¡§Without Leica cannot takes

good pictures¡¨. That¡¦s BS. Why? What about Hasselblad, Linhof or

Contax S2 with Zeiss T lens. Leica people had already forgot it

because their pride. Come on, do we really need a Benz or BMW

everyday to go to work? Of course, NOT. An old USA made car would do

just fine. In fact, I don¡¦t see the point of driving a Benz since

cops like to nail speeders with expensive car. And the city limit is

around 35mph to 50mph. Now, getting a Leica is a different story.

Leica lens has about the same sharpness compare with most Japanese

prime lens. Well, why do I still like Leica? Before I go on, I want

to let you know that I still use my old Nikon gear F2A and FM2n. They

are inexpensive and if I break it accidently, I won¡¦t cry.

Leica lens can penetrate deepest shadow details that no other

Japanese lens can offer. Of course, the Carl Zeiss T is competitive

with the Leica. Back to photography 101, your instructor taught you

that you need a fill flash in sunny day when taking portrait. That¡¦s

not TRUE when you use good Germany made lens with an accurate TTL

light meter. See the differences? This is also the reason why the

Leica M still has a slow 1/50 sec flash sync. Because Leica lens do

not require a fill flash in bright sunny day, you can choose whatever

shutter speed you want. Instead sticking to 1/125sec or 1/250sec on

some other cameras. The flash sync on Leica M designs for indoor use,

unless outside is really dark.

The latest Leica lens has better colour rendition. This also apply to

use a Metz German flash instead of Nikon or others. The German lenses

have better colour accuracy and the Metz flash has better colour

temperature. My favourite is using my Metz 60 CT2 with my Leicaflex,

R series, and a Summilux 50mm F1.4 lens for wedding. Of course, I

would bring my Nikon and Hasselblad if I am serious.

Leica produces smooth lines in Black and White photography. In black

and white photography, some pro said Leica has the ¡§magic¡¨ in the

old lens, don¡¦t really know the term ¡§magic¡¨ means. But my guess is

that the lens has a better bokeh and smoother texture and lines. Back

in the 50¡¦s, the summicron can produce an outstanding Black and

White that no others Japanese lens can offer. But it depends on

personal taste, really.

Do you need Leica, not really. But if you understand photography deep

enough and it is your job or hobby, it is a good reason of buying

one. At last, I do not want to say this: People respect you as a

photographer if you carry a Hasselblad and Leica. People around you

like salesman or your friends could have changed and believe that you

are a Pro. Of course, you need to know why you choose the best. If

you carry a Pentax K1000, no one cares. That¡¦s reality.

They are just tools; dont get all wrapped up in the BS of the cameras "image"; or what other people think. At F5.6 ; most all 50mm prime lenses made are very good. Wide open; many of the Leica glass is great; and some other brands selected lenses are too. Do you think a plumber gets all wrapped up on whether their snake is slightly dirty; when starting to clean out a fouled sewer pipe? why are there so many threads about a speck of dust in ones lens? The plumber uses a good tool; that will not break and create more of a mess. The plumber has certain brands of snakes that are of better quality; that help his job get done; clearing poop/hair clogs...........A plain homeowner might also what a premium quality snake; to eliminate the mess my neighbor got in when his "cheapie import" broke down inside the pipe; creating a giant repair job for a real professional plumber........................The Noctilux of mine has better looks at F1.4 and F1; than my Nikkor 50mm F1.4 @f1.4......on my Nikon F.............It is my better tool for f1.4 work...Like the plumber; it is just a tool..............It is amazing how photographers seem to get all hung up on tool's brand names; most without even using them......

I don't know why I bought 3 M bodies within a year. A year!. Honestly I think Im not too concerned about things as "sharpness, bokeh" etc now as compared to 2 years ago. I do however,, find the leica bodies/lenses unobtrusive in street work.

I have been using the FX3 and tokina 24mm (mid-giant lens) for a while now. While I find the shutter noise alarming, it gets the job done.

I just like to hang around this forum because of the people and the knowledge of this people. Whether these people uses Leica is not really my concern ANYMORE.

Chuck, forget it!

I use good tools because I can usually afford them. I use my M and it's lenses because they are good. Mechanically precise and they last a long time -- and that's what I'm looking for. Mercedes and BMWs, same story. I don't have one of those (unfortunately) because I don't have that much money. If I did, I would buy one. What the cops are looking for doesn't interest me.

If you aren't all that interested in any and/or all Leica stuff, then just don't buy it.

Chuck, I think in the previous '50mm' posts you made, the replies were written to help you. You came across as somebody who genuinely didn't know what you wanted, and many replies centered on helping you manage not only the use of the lens, but possible budget considerations. If you had said beforehand you had all the answers to your own questions, all those people could have used their valuable energy elsewhere.

why do we always liken our cameras to things like bmw's or mercedes' or other cars? i think a much more meaningful analogy would be that of a musician using a fine instrument. the way i use my cameras is much more similar to how i use my bass than to how i use my car(which is cheap old vw fox btw - i spend my money on things that are important..... not cars!) why do i use a leica? it's small, it's unobtrusive, it's quiet, the viewfinder lets me concentrate on the subject more than an slr, it doesn't get in my way. and the one lens i have for it, an older 35 summicron, is amazing. but when i need something wider or longer i break out my fm2n and my 28mm nikkor(which, frankly, is the sharpest lens i've ever owned) or my 50 or 85. i don't know, i just love my leica. the same way i loved my first music man bass. i loved my fenders but there was just something special about the music man - hand made, beautiful attention to detail, and one hell of a sturdy workhorse bass. just like the leica.

I can't actually work out what Chuck's saying but I think he believes that a Leica is somehow a badge that announces you're a serious photographer. In which case, I'm pretty much afraid he's wrong.

To 99.99% of the people out there, the Leica hung round your neck is a funny old camera and if anything they wonder why you don't buy a decent SLR. Very occassionally you'll meet another photographer who knows what it is and most times even he'll ask why you don't use a Canon or a Nikon or better still a digicam.

As to Leica being better than other cameras, well that's pretty well rubbish. Leica lenses, in my experience, are as good as the top Canon or Nikon lenses but no better - all these makes are sharper than most photographers can take advantage of. The cameras themselves are beautifully made, at least the older ones like my M3 - I keep hearing stories to the contrary about the later ones :-) and very nice to use but no nicer to use than a good Canon or Nikon - just different.

Most people don't know the meaning of life, except some philosophers and religious figures. Yet most people continue to live their lives...

It's obvious right from the thread title that Chuck is trolling. There are lots more outright falsehoods in the message body.

Never forget the adage "Don't feed the trolls."

Andrew, you might well be right.

Chuck's first question on this forum praised the R2 for its superior spec: "Ask yourself, how many times you want to use daylight fill flash with a wide aperature."

Today? "Back to photography 101, your instructor taught you that you need a fill flash in sunny day when taking portrait. That¡¦s not TRUE when you use good Germany made lens with an accurate TTL light meter."

Well, fill flash or not?

I've only ever used flash when I've been drunk, but I did laugh at the bit about German flashes having better colour temperature.

When I bought my first Leicas more than 30 years ago, there was no particular mystique about the brand. Most of my colleagues in journalism were using Nikon Fs (having switched a few years back from TLRs). But I liked the reliability (I had to travel occasionally) and handling of the Leicas, and the lenses, I thought, gave me very acceptable images (although I certainly didn't think they were any better than those of my Nikon-toting friends). I'm still using those Leicas: they really did turn out to be reliable, and I still like the way they feel and produce images.

Chuck,

Your a trouble maker. All your recent posts are designed to insult Leica, and those who use them. AND, of course, proclaim the Voigltander is better in every way. Personally I'm tired of your "crap". I've used and owned every camera system you mentioned. I liked them all. I prefer some better than others, for different reasons. If you don't want a Leica, Good, get what your want and SHUT UP. I own a C/V lens,the 50mm Nokton, and like it. I also own a summicron and like it. Each aids me in achieving different goals.

Do us all a favor, put this energy into your photography, and grow up.

Leica is a brand. 99% of the world's pictures, including nearly every single one in the media is taken with a Canon or a Nikon. No except contributors to this board and assorted gearheads and snobs gives a damn about your camera brand, or has ever even heard of Leica. If you print your color shots from your Pentax K1000 on a Fuji Frontier, the color, shadow detail, and whatever else you ascribe to Leica will be evident. And still, no one will care.

BTW, I have come to realised that if you are after sharpness and more sharpness, invest in a good enlarger lens or find a good lab.

My first prints from a leica lens(35 asph f2) in a neigbourhood family drug store K***k Lab produced awful colours and bokeh ;)

Hence I thought the enlarger lens thread was a gem.

"Seriosuly, did you really have to waste your time writing a story like that that basically means SH!T?

Really mate, in all respect, who gives a damn, especially on this forum?"

Kristian, be carefull where you point the finger after your "reunited with your Emmy, the name of your chrome M6" post. But I agree there may be a new Alfie W in town. It does liven the forum up a bit.