You Think M's are Silent?

"...the M6 is really no quieter than my Nikon FM2. Now someone can question my hearing acuity."

OK, I will. I'd wager you're an old fart with bad hearing if you think these two cameras sound the same. 'Ka-chink' and 'snick' don't sound much alike.

Martin: "I find that the film winding and shutter movement of IIIc is very quiet."

I had a IIIc and the winding movement was quiet. The shutter wasn't *that* quiet but at least it was crisp and polite. I could feel the vibration of the shutter, too - maybe my unit needed adjustment?

Lee,

there is no point. Leaf shutters are almost always quiet, M shutters are pretty quiet, LS shutters are mostly a bit noisy, unless they are running slow. Leicas with a top speed of 1/500 are a bit quieter; dont know why. Nikon, whatever model we were talking about, I got one; Its shutter/mirror not bad compared with old Pentax Spotmatic but noisy.

Anybody with a noisy wind-on in any camera needs servicing or has forgotten that they are using a motor drive.

My old Zenith 3M is quiet as a mouse to wind on. I wont say that about the shutter and mirror slap.

Kevin -- Nope, I don't think I'm an "old fart," though perhaps I am compared to some people -- I'm 40 yrs old and have good hearing. (And by the way, if my hearing WERE deficient, it wouldn't matter: both cameras would sound equally quieter than they actually may be.) Now that we've dealt with my hearing, let's discuss your READING abilities: I wrote "the M6 is really no quieter than my Nikon FM2," to which you responded "...if you think these two cameras sound the same. 'Ka-chink' and 'snick' don't sound much alike." I only claimed that the M6 is no quieter than my FM2, not that they sound the same.

<p>One thing I have learned in those 40 yrs: rather than believing ads and repeating stories (Leica once ran an ad claiming that no matter how much you "prick up your ears" you couldn't hear an M6's shutter, which is total BS), it's better to actually try something myself. I bought an M6, I've held it up next to my FM2, fired one shutter and then the other, and they make about as much noise as each other. Different noises, but the same level -- at least to my ears, which have not been infected with heresay and wishful thinking.

Even with alot of test gear; and a rented accoustical chamber; in Santa Monica; one can get conflictiing results.......A saved "loudness" verus frequency plot will vary with each device; and will vary with the condition and temperature of the device.........A shrill high frequency noise might be heard by the cat 50 yards aways; a young person in the same room; and not be heard by a person with high frequency loss.......At one company; a young associate that had been to too many rock concerts had alot more high end loss than our old boss.....The old boss had high end loss due to being on a bomber; during WW2........................One device had a real loud ball bearing spindle; in the several kilohertz range; big spikes on the spectrum analyier.....The old boss and "you rock groupie" could not hear it at all.....A young high school girl trainie could here it across the office.............Sometimes devices will vary alot from serial number to serial number; this drives us engineers nuts; when the quality guys start spouting; its all 6 sigma; it cannot be!.........<BR><BR>Slightly OT; slr's seam to draw more attention with the general public; who see the cheapest starter F5.6 zoom; black Canon EOS from walmart; and assume one is a pro...A Leica is considered to be "just an old camera" by many; and goes unnoticed sometimes........................An old rolleiflex/cord is also very silent; plus one doesnt have to hold the rig always to the eye....