papers of 11x14 on order and will be experimenting with them to see

what gives the best results. I'm trying 2 types of graded and two

types of VC paper. My problem is that I'm not sure what developer to

use with todays papers. I'm ordering boxes of:

(1) Bergger VCNB Neutral White Glossy Paper

(2) Kodak Polymax Fine Art F DW

(3) Illford Gallerie double weight glossy #2 graded

(4) Oriental Seagull graded

All negatives are 4x5 Tri-X developed in HC-110 for 6 1/2 minutes.

I used to use Dektol for developing most of the time. I'll stick with it for the time being until I have the time to test a few others. I'm interested in enlargeing some of my best 4x5's onto 8x10 negatives and trying AZO developed in Amidol but that will have to wait for awhile.

Sal, I'd love to work with Bergger graded but the bergger that Calumet and most other places is carrying is $26 for 10 8x10 sheets and around $90 for 10 16x20 sheets. Thats a little more than I can afford unless I'm limiting myself to 1 pack of 16x20 per week.

P.S. May whoever it was who decided to discontinue Brilliant fiber graded paper have their mother-in-law decide to come live with him and his wife.

I agree that for your pupose Dektol make most sense. Probably the very best developer is Amidol, but you already know about it, and its problems. Almost identical results to Amidol can be produced with Ansco 130 (from Photographers Formulary), and the stuff lasts forever (unlike Dektol and Amidol), just pour it back in the bottle and keep using it for 6-12 months.

Mike, that's the wrong Bergger paper. What I'm referring to is Prestige Graded NB. You can buy it from B&H (see the following page)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=1Pm811TFXS!713037491!NONE?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=184333&is=REG

for $22.50/25 sheets. It will be drop-shipped to you. The link is for Grade 2; 3 and 4 are available too. You can also order directly from Bergger's US importer. Check out technical data on the paper and contact info at this site:

http://www.bergger.com/introusa.htm

Your anger about Calumet's decision to stop selling Zone VI Graded Brilliant Bromide II is misplaced energy. It was simply repackaged Kentmere Bromide. If you really want some, order it through Silverprint in the UK. Go to this address:

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/

and click on Papers, Kentmere and scroll down to Kentmere Bromide. You'll see no prices, but that's only because they don't keep it in stock any longer. Contact them by email for a price, and they'll order it for you from the factory with one or two days of lead time. I still have an unopened 100-sheet box of grade 3 Brilliant Bromide II in my freezer that Calumet sent me a couple of years ago. It was a no-charge replacement for the defective package I returned most of. The first batch had static discharge marks all over it right out of the factory. I'm much happier with Bergger now. The Bergger doesn't come out of its package curled up either!

Let's see if I can make those real links:

<p>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=1Pm811TFXS!713037491!NONE?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=184333&is=REG">Grade 2 at B&H</a>

<p>

<a href="http://www.bergger.com/introusa.htm">Bergger's site</a>

<p>

and

<p>

<a href="http://www.silverprint.co.uk/">Silverprint's site</a>

<p>

Wow, finally got off my duff and learned how to do that after all these years.<p>

Sal, see, if I hadn't posted you probably would never have learned the fine art of hyperlink posting. I feel that my life has meaning now. :)

I see what you mean about the Bergger paper. I was looking at the Bergger Prestige (I think thats the name) on the Calumet site. I'll give the Bergger graded paper you mentioned a try. Thanks

Wow good luck trying to compare all those fine papers in a community darkroom! I hope you're not having to share solution trays, and I hope you'll get to use the same enlarger each session. Otherwise, variations beyond your control and without your knowledge could make your tests a meaningless waste of time and money.

Dektol is fine and easily obtained. IMO Zone VI print developer is very slightly better, available from Calumet. Whatever you choose, be consistent, always use a fresh batch, and put up a sign 'Contains Pyro - Extremely Toxic!' on the tray to discourage others from using it.

My experiences with community darkrooms have been pretty dismal. Maybe you'll get lucky. If you see someone try and process a sheet by going from right to left (fixer first), run, don't walk!

"good luck trying to compare all those fine papers in a community darkroom! I hope you're not having to share solution trays, and I hope you'll get to use the same enlarger each session"

I've got that covered. I'm the only one in the darkrrom class who uses LF so I have a Besler 4x5 enlarger all to myself. I also plan to do most of my developing after hours and on weekends so I should be the only one in the darkrrom most of the time.

"IMO Zone VI print developer is very slightly better"

My developer and paper of choice used to be Zone VI developer with Brilliant graded paper. I wasn't sure how Zone VI deveoper worked with todays papers. I'll give it a try again and see.

"and put up a sign 'Contains Pyro - Extremely Toxic!' on the tray to discourage others from using it"

I'm planning to do some work with Pyro but I figured the sight of me standing over the dakroom sink wearing my 3M 6001 respirator with the double vapor cartidges would be enough to discourage any casual comunnity darkroom student from getting anywhere near where I'm working:)

"My experiences with community darkrooms have been pretty dismal"

Been there. Done that. Already heard one student ask if they should try to get the best exposure they can or just fix it in the darkroom:)

I'm adding one other paper/developer combination to my test list. Forte Elegance neutral tone paper developed in Versaprint II. There may be other developers that work better with this paper but I've heard good things about this paper/developer combination. Anyone else tried these togeather?