Nikkor De Focus Lens

charles_twiss1

Both are exquisitely sharp used as regular lenses and the defocus control can be "controlled" so you get as much or as little as you want. You need to practice with them a bit and see the effect and keep notes so you remember what you like for awhile. After you use them a bit, you get a preety quick grip on what suits you.

Incredibly well=built.

Conni

Charles, after twenty Nikon years I recently moved to Canon. I've only one regret, no more Nikon 135mm f2.0 de-focus.

It was an exquisite lens, used with restraint it delivered that delicious "roundness", that sharpness without harshness that was the hallmark of black and white photography up until the 60's and 70's. Despite the passing of vintage Zeiss or Cooke optics, thick emulsion film, and silver rich papers, the Nikon de-focus lenses continue to deliver that indefinable "glow" to a print.

Ditto, Conni and Gary....

I had the 135DF and while I hardly used it in the DF mode (my fault), it was a razor sharp (almost TOO sharp) lens. I finally sold it because I had aquired a 80-200 AFS and keeping the 135 seemed like overkill. In retrospect, I wish I had it back (and we ALL have stories like that!).

I've thought about getting the 105DF as part of a three lens travel kit (instead of the heavy three lens 2.8 zooms). Anybody with hands on experience with the 105???

Hi Todd:

The same kudos apply to the 105DF. It might even be more useful. They are useful for very different situations. I have to remember sometimes that the 135 DF is perfect for a shot because it isn't something I carry around all the time. The 105 DF is just great for portraits and shots of flowers and pets.

Conni

Hi Charles,

I have a 135mm DC, and even thought I don't use it much, it is a fantastic lens. It's great, sharp and the finest "dc" type lens on the market, IMHO. I use a 85 f/1.4 and the 85 f/2.8 Tilt shift, so the 135 sits at home.

If you decide to buy it and would like a 1yr old lens, I'll sell you it for a good price. No matter what, it's a darn sweet lens

Rob

I rented the 135 F2 DC for a weekend, not a lot of experience I know. I was very pleased with the results. Except, I should mention that the defocus control was not an out-of-the-box "gee is this easy to use" feature. Without the manual or a decent web site explaining it in detail, I was unable to figure out what the heck I was doing with the DC controls. I ultimately shut them off and just shot beatiful pictures in low-light. Due to cost concerns, and my own stupidity in figuring out how DC helps me, I opted for the Nikon 135mm F2 AI. That, too, is a wonderful lens.

I have the 135 and it is a very nice lens, but just like most other users of this lens I haven't used the defocus. Is there anyone out there who knows of a website with a good description of how to use the defocus control? I have been searching for it extensively without any success.

I bought the lens used and didn't get any users manual. If anyone has the users manual and is willing to scan and email it, I would be very grateful.

I purchased a Nikkor DC lens today (14/6) for the sterling equivelant of $450 and have after a short while using it, got the hang of the defocus control. On digital I could see the results straight away and have to say it is, as everyone claimed, superb. Many thanks for all those who responded.