Hi

Can anyone tell me if a Nikon AIS lens, that has been chipped,

work/meter on a D100?

I have a 135mm f/2 that I want to get chipped, it would be mice if

it would also meter on the D100. I was wondering if anyone knew the

answer. I called Nikon, the guy didn't have a clue to what I was

talking about. Oh well

Thanks

I use a chipped AIS 600mm lens all the time on my Fuji S2 (same basic N80 lens interface as D100) and get excellent spot/center weighted metering (no matrix). <I>[it turns out that this "chipped" AI-S lens does work with matrix metering with the D100. See the correction below.]</I> I'm sure the same lens would work equally well on a D100.

<P>

There was a Nikon rep at a local store when I first looked at an S2 and he was also clueless regarding the 'chipped' approach (not sure if feigned or otherwise).

I am surprised that a "chipped" AI-S lens cannot matrix meter with a Fuji S2, which has the same metering system as the D100 and F80/N80.

As far as Nikon reps go, some are quite clueless overall. Some of the more knowledgable folks here in this forum are more knowledgable than they are.

Sorry, I tend to respond to threads while I'm at work and my mind is in 2 places. Yes, I do believe that the chipped lens will matrix meter on the S2 body. I just happen to never use matrix on the lens (no big surprise with a 600mm), but that might be a different matter for a shorter focal length.

OK, now I think I know how I made the errant statement. It was with my N70 and the AIS lens (not chipped) that gave me the spot/center weight capability... but not matrix. I lived in that world for awhile before getting the lens a chip upgrade in prep for a DSLR. Anyway, glad I did... it's worked out very well. Sorry for the mis-info on matrix.

Shun & Co.

I switched my S2 over to matrix meter mode for some test photos and it worked beautifully with the chipped AIS lens, as expected. Buying a DSLR was contigent on being able to use the 600 prime, and it has payed off very nicely.

Cheers,

Greg

Three quick notes.

1. Matrix metering requires that the camera get the correct maximum aperture from the chip. Rolland uses only chips from lenses with the same maximum aperture as the lens he's chipping (which is why he doesn't chip the 105mm f2.5, although it handles really well with an f2.8 chip). Some other chippers may have different views in this area.

2. The D100 requires that the lens be stopped down to minimum apertures, so that the aperture can be controlled by the front command dial of the camera. The camera does this by moving the stop down lever on the back of the lens a precisely controlled distance. AI-S lenses (the S stands for "shutter preferred) have a calibrated stop down lever, so this works. Some AI (or pre-AI, converted) lenses don't have a sufficiently accurate aperture, and may have exposure errors at small apertures (although they're fine wide open or only closed down a stop or two).

3. Since it's common to use chips from lenses with the correct aperture, but any old focal length, some lenses will do really strange things. A 20mm f2.8 AI-S with the chip from a 45mm f2.8 will set a zoom flash to a setting that is too narrow to cover the lens field of view, for example. Program modes may choose shutter speeds appropriat for a telephoto, even though you've got a wide angle.

Just some observations...

Joe

"Just some observations... "

Don't quit now Joe, this is really interesting. Is there somewhere to find out what sort

of side effects one may be in for with any particular chip, when used for each lens

that one may want to chip? Or is that too much to hope for? Your comment about the

max aperture of the 105 f/2.5 being at f/2.8 after chipping, and when using in matrix

mode, was something that I had not even considered. Of course it makes perfect

sense, once one does think about it. :o)

If the 105 required that extra width from the 2.5 aperture, one could still use CW

metering, so it's not like folks are losing much.