Amateur invited to a "famous may attend party" Need help..

alex_velez

Recently purchased a 10D, EF24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM lens and a

420exflash with an ominbounce. I am a total amateur just learning the

camera, but would like to take nice shots at this party. Most of the

shots will be taken indoors and a few by the pool. The majority of

the guests will be dark colored. I expect to see some dark colored

as well as traditional attire. I would just like some tips to help

me take better pictures. Would you recommend any other lens? Any

camera settings that may help...

Thanks again

I am not sure you should take anything serious from some guy who all but admits he is a PITA in his signature line.

First, do you have a flash bracket? That will help minimize the shadows to the side when taking portrait pictures.

Second, I would recommend putting the camera on manual at the speed and aperature you want to use. The camera and flash should work together to get you the exposure you want. I find this is much more reliable than any of the program modes. Just remember that if you go for too high a speed / aperature setting that the background will probably be too dark.

Third, bring LOTS of batteries! Unfortunately the 420 doesn't have a battery connector on it for using external batteries. The batteries last a while, but you might find the wait times for the flash to recharge to be unacceptable as the batteries get weaker. Using an omnibounce doesn't help either since the flash will have to work harder for each shot.

Hope this helps and have fun at the party!

Alex, click on "search" at the top of the page, and enter "dark skin" or "skin tone" to find a number of photo.net threads dealing with proper exposure of various skin tones.<p>BTW, as far as our melting-pot-of-various-skin-tones office staff is concerned, there is nothing offensive about your question! In our opinions, PC=BS.

Hi Alex,

I don't think the pics will be as much of a problem as

permission. Is there an expectation of privacy, even if it is a

public place ? If its invite only then I am sure there will be. Having

worked at a bar where famous attended I know how quickly the

evening can turn sour when there are unexpected cameras

around. I am not trying to discourage you but you should

probably check with somebody first.

The previously mentioned thread should cover your exposure

worries (though digital seems very saveable post production

should the exposure be out) and if possible bounce the flash off

the ceiling or wall even with the diffuser.

Take care, Scott.

10Ds tend to overexpose, in my experience and that of a number of posters, so about 2/3 stop underexposure should be dialed in, plus darker skin tones, clothes, etc. will make the meter want to overexpose up to that magic 18% grey: total maybe 1 1/3-1 2/3 stops of underexposure needed to compensate. ALSO, like slide film, the digitals tend to wash highlights more quickly than they block shadows, so underexposed shots can be "fixed" more easily than overs in postprocessing. Practice on something/someone, and see what the histogram reads for the best shots. The review window is good but not that good.

Wholly in agreement that you should CHECK FIRST to see if cameras are even allowed. Besides any legalities, many of the "famous" who go out and about take rather nasty bodyguard types. Last time I checked you can't just open fire on some goon reaching for your camera, and of course I could not in good conscience advise planting a .40 cal Mag-Safe or Glazer (available in fine gun shops everywhere) in one of their pussel guts.

hi there

the advice so far for a self confessed amateur that posted the question is a little mushy.

i find that in these situations that the TTL metering when set of P does a good job without much to think about. the only difference with the 10d is that you should check your images at the start to see if you need to compensate at all.

happy shooting

Get a couple of sets of AA Nickel Metall Hydride batteries for the flash, they charge the gun in less than half the time of alkaline batteries. You will get very fustrated with the alkaline batteries and potentially miss a lot of good pictures because of them. I'd use colour neg film for this as it is pretty bullet proof, but with the digital you should be able to check things as you go. Have fun.