Leica CL noisy shutter

tony_rocha

I recently purchase a Leica CL on ebay. Everything seems to work

well, but I was surprised by the loud 'clunk' sound of the shutter,

more akin to an SLR than a Leica M. It is certainly much louder than

any of the other Leica M cameras. Is this normal for CL cameras or

does it indicate time for CLA?

Its true the CL's has a slightly noisier shutter than a Mechanical M but not that much louder so your camera may need a service. Also I have noticed when I was comparing it to a Bessa in a store was that naturally both cameras got quieter as you attached a lens but the CL lost a greater amount of noise. This may well have to do with the moving meter arm to a certain degree which isnt muffled at all with the lens off. So when you compare, compare with lenses on.

Dont worry about Jay, he doesnt like CL's but if you believe his other beef that no film will be available in a few years all M shutters will be going silent as well!

This is decidedly odd.

I have a CL and it is definitely one of my quietest cameras. Just slightly noisier than my Rolleiflex.

If I press the shutter (the speeds are accurate as far as I can ascertain), it just produses a very light wheeze. I can hear it because I position the camera much closer to my ear than, say, a Rolleiflex.

This is quieter than my 4 M's which produce a rather audible click. Even the IIIf's make more noise.

Should I send my sample to CLA, rather than Tony?

As above louder than an M, but definitely quieter than any SLR (save the whisper drive Canons). Sounds like it is CLA time. And as above, don't listen to Jay in this case. The meter may very well quit (you can still hand meter), but the CL shutters are not know for any huge problems.