I am looking for Kodak's discontinued "opaque black" and/or

discontinued "korn dye," for touching up my 8 x 10 negatives. I have

tried "dyene" with no luck - it just does not stick. I have already

looked through the 2 local shops I know of - you know the little shops

where everything is used and you name it its there, you got to just

look and sift through the stuff. I would appreciate phone numbers of

similiar type shops you know of, or does anyone have some they would

like to sell to me?

For B&W negatives, you can use Kodak Crocein Scarlet. It's a powder that you mix with water. I've successfully used the Crocein Scarlet to cover scratches and pinholes on Bergger BPF200, Kodak Tri-X, Ilford FP4+, and Efke PL100, always on the base side. You end up with white areas on the print that you then must retouch with Spotone.

The Crocein Scarlet is catalog number CAT 146 3751. It wasn't discontinued as recently as a year ago when I got mine. I had my local camera store order some for me.

There is also Kodak retouching fluid, CAT 195 6309. It's purpose is to give some tooth to the retouching surface so that pencils or dyes will stick. I haven't needed it with the Crocein Scarlet, as it seems to stick permanently to all of the films I've tried it on quite well.

BTW, I had no luck with Edwal's No Scratch. It didn't prevent the scratches from showing up black on my prints, and it is messy. You have to clean it off after using it. The Crocein Scarlet is essentially permanent, although it can be removed if you really want to. The process is described in "Lootens On Photographic Enlarging & Print Quality", a useful reference for retouching.