so I'm pretty confident it's not my technique that's lacking, and

besides, when I borrow the wife's P&S my horizons are all perfectly

level even with that.

Next step will be to use a spirit level on both a test target and the

M6 but in the meantime would any of you knowledgable people have any

quick ideas. Is it possible to have mis-aligned framelines within

the viewfinder?

Thanking you all in advance.

<<I have been consistently getting crooked horizons even after astute framing and being consciously aware that previous rolls of film have also shown crooked horizons>>

Craig, you have this problem because you are misusing your Leica. It was designed for candid low-light street photography of people at maximum aperture with the entire background of OOF bokeh. Leica's designers did not intend for anyone to photograph a horizon so you have no right to complain. And please post some images, we'd like to ridicule them.

Sorry Craig, had to get that out. I'm sure your technique is fine, I've never used a spirit level and my horizons come out straight 100% of the time. It is possible for the frame mask set to be misaligned. Are the framelines parallel to the sides and top of the rangefinder patch (there's no way I can think of that could be misaligned since it's formed by the window cut into the top plate)? If they are, then I'd look at the shutter crate itself. Is the film gate parallel to the guide rails, and to the edge of the top-plate? How far askew are your horizons...if it's significant it should be obvious in one or the other of the above tests.

Rob F.

The skew is consistent, left up. It's not much but you can see it even when viewing slides on the lightbox without a loupe. The skew is also evident when I hold the camera vertically and always the same way.

I'll have a really close look at how the frame lines line up with all your valuable tips and will let you all know the outcome. In all seriousness I hope that it's me causing this error and not my Leica.

Well, since it's consistently the same way I imagine the problem is in the camera. Your plan to test with the camera on a tripod and using a spirit level, sounds foolproof. The lens axis should of course should be at right angles to the test target, and centered on it.

I have more trouble getting level horizons, and otherwise achieving critical framing, with the M than with an SLR; but not to the extent you are describing. I think I have a tendency to hold the right end of the camera lower than the left, unless I'm being careful. But again, it's not so consistent as you are describing.

So let us know what you come up with.

It's happened to me! It was indeed the frameline mask assembly that was off.

In my case it was because it had been replaced (fungus in my M4) with a

newer one from I guess an M4-2. It didn't fit right, so the technician nudged it

over a bit, which threw it off horizontally. Shot a whole trip to Michigan like that

and was pissed. Send it to Leica or if DAG or Sherry have the jigs to check it,

they do good work.

PS a brand new 24mm Leica finder was off in a similar way. $140 for a

voigtlander BL finder and I was back in buisiness.