Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G AF-S ED

adam_hiscox

Since it is a 'G' lens, you will need a camera body (F100, F5) that can set the f-stop with a dial on the camera. There is no f-stop ring, so the camera choice is limited. (It will work on a N90s or N8008s body, but only in P or S modes.)

Extremely nice general purpose lens, excellent between 28 and 80, and very good at the ends (24 & 85). Focus is very fast (on F100) and I like to shoot from the hip with this lens. Not a good choice for low light, but I think you knew that. Probably will work for the majority of your photography, but thats just a guess.

I've been using this lens since May, and really like it. The images are nice and sharp, and the focus is really quiet and really fast. There seems to be a bit more distortion at the 24mm end compared to my 24mm and 18-35mm, but not too noticeable unless you shoot buildings or other shots with lots of straight lines at the edges (I shoot primarily landscapes, so it's not an issue for me). Unless you shoot in low light a lot (with relatively slow film), or buildings and such, you should like this lens.

Martin

Adam:

A month or so ago, I took a like-new 24-85mm G lens in at my store for $100. Since I'm the used camera guy, I had a chance to buy it for $100, but didn't.

PLUS: Price, small and lightweight, faaaaast focusing, good range, relatively low distotrion, good sharpness, good lens hood comes with lens

MINUS: A bit plasticy, slow, hard to AF in low light

The reason I didn't get the lens was that my F5 couldn't lock on a focus with the lens in low light. Worse yet, even with the assist light from the SB-28, the lens was too slow from 50mm to 85mm (f/5.0-4.5) for the lens to lock onto a focus. This is not a problem I have with my f/2.8 AF zooms.

Regards,

This was the lens I bought with my D100. The AFS is very fast and quiet and I have taken some great images with it. Obviously it's not as bright as the 2.8's but it is a heck of a lot less money. Unless you expect to do a lot of lower light stuff or having a tiny DOF is important enough to spend three to four times more money, I would say go for it.

Mark Farmer

Adam, the example that I have does a very adequate job in low light focusing. I use mine on a F100. I would never disagree with Eric, but perhaps the one he tested was bad. For family snaps this lens will do everything you need. For critical sharpness and speed consider an 85mm 1.8 used @ 200 and a used 28mm 2.8 @ 125 instead of the zoom.

"I would never disagree with Eric, but perhaps the one he

tested was bad."

Hugh, the lens was fine and don't get me wrong, for shooting in general room light or outdoors, its a swell lens. Unfortunately, I do a fair amount of shooting with flash in near darkness and past about f/4.0, the focus assist light on an SB-28 didn't put out enough light to allow the camera to autofocus.

But my near darkness/flash issue is not common. I would certainly recommend the lens for people who shoot predominantly in decent lighting conditions.