What is it with prices for EOS 1Ds?

miro_maturkanic

I made a complaint to Ebay regarding such sellers. Ebay told me in more word than this that:

What scammers do is to crack genuine ebay accounts (either by guessing passwords, or using 'back-door' hacking software to obtain passwords). This is why you see trading histories of sometimes hundreds of positive feedbacks. Therefore they cant just block certain offending user accounts, because the user id and and IP address of client browser etc) changes every time. Basicly they gave me the impression they are saying they cant afford/be bothered to manually vet new auction submissions in prone catorgories.

If you cant tell whether its a scam or not (i.e. the price is realistic but the english/technical contect is poor) simply ask them if you can collect the camera and pay for it at the same time. Scammers will drop any contact straight away.

I bought my 10D off ebay. But I visited the sellers home, inspected the camera and receipts, tested it for over an hour, tested the sellers story before handing over a penny. Saved me around £300 / $500 by doing so.

Well, well... I'm glad I posted this question and I'm glad you all responded. I asked those sellers whether they'll accept payment through escrow or if they'll send the camera COD. Boy, this is something. So far I receive 3 answers. Non of them will accept it, of course! Two of them were polite with explaining why they can't. One was really arrogant.

Two interesting things:

1. Most of them canceled their auction after I asked them the question

2. Most of them (or at least many) is from Europe (I had one from Romania, one from Germany) or other parts of the world. Some don't even bother to place location......

Look at their feedback. Most of the time for something like this it is like 375 positive feeback with 99.98% positive. When you actuall look at what the product was being bought and sold by this person it is like kids toys, clothes, an antique salt and pepper shaker set..... Nothing remotly to do with cameras. I think these are the people that were hacked.

• 2 months later...
You can get a Canon-refurbished 1Ds on eBay for around 6000, which is a good price as the refurbs are perfect/pristine. I bought mine from Bryan Siverly in Illinois, and he is a treat to deal with (he's actually a minister!). He has a buddy at a camera store who sources them for him.