No Words : Boys of Summer

armando_roldan

Sammy Sosa plays for the Chicago Cubs. Someone altered the team logo to read "Cork," a reference to the accusation that he uses an illegal corked bat which some believe could explain some of his booming out of the park homers.

I have no idea whether Sosa does cheat but I can't imagine why he'd need to. The guy is built more like a football player than baseballer, strong as an ox, quick as a jackass's kick and could slam 'em outta the park with a fence post. But athletes will do peculiar things in a slump or to chase a record.

Forgive me, David but I forget this is a worldwide forum. Isn't there a Cork in Ireland? I shot this photo and did the "editing" on Sammys jersey. I was at Arizona spring training in March and found Sammy quite pleasant and fan-freindly and even tossed baseballs as souvenirs to children seated near the outfield bleacher seats between innings. I wish it wasn't overcast that day so I could have had much brighter colors but I was allowed so close to the action, I only used about 135mm of my 400mm zoom for this shot.

David Clark - ordinarily, I'd recommend Los Angeles for any kind of photography, including sports photography, except we don't have a professional football team (American football that is).

New York and Chicago are the obvious sports-crazy big cities. And they have football teams.

The nice thing about Los Angeles though is the proximity to the Pacific Ocean, and thus water sports, and during winter, allows you to photograph or even participate in snow skiing AND water skiing on the same day. Unfortunately, we don't have a professional football team.

LA is also very diverse, allowing you access to a variety of landscape and people photography as well. Unfortunately, we don't have a football team.

And oh, BTW, have I mentioned that we don't have a football team??