Camping in Yellowstone and Tetons

rafael_furcal

Rafael--In the Grand Teton National Park the best wildlife viewing and photo ops are away from the campgrounds. I suggest taking a raft trip on the Snake River which flows through the park. The last time I floated it the kids saw moose, otter, beaver and a bear. Commercial float trips are plenitful.

In Yellowstone wildlife is everywhere but the best viewing and photo ops are in the valleys -- Hayden, Pelican and Lamar. Canyon and Bridge Bay are good campgrounds to see animals but beware. I worked in Yellowstone as a Park Ranger for 15 years and transported many a visitor to the Lake Hospital with hoof prints across their body and in one case a visitor was given a rectal exam with a Bison horn. He was attempting to get close to the 'big cow' as his companion (both French) prepared to take a photo. Well the bison are much quicker than the French and it was a disaster. If you can get the kids out of the tent and drive the family to Hayden Valley around dawn you will see wildlife and avoid the crowds. The National Forest campgrounds that surround these parks also offer great possibilities.

I just came back from Yellowstone and Tetons.

I saw a mama black bear with two cubs and two

wolves at Lamar Valley. There was reportedly

another black bear with 3 cubs in Lamar Valley

that I didn't get to see. I saw a grizzly bear

at Swan Lake. There are osprey nests near the

canyon upper and lower falls. There were lots

of buffalos, elks and coyotes. Most of the buffalo

calves were near the west entrance along Madison

river. I saw only one elk with large antlers

between Norris and Mammoth.

The natural bridge trail near Lake Yellowstone

Village is closed because bears are feasting

on spawning trouts.

At Grand Teton, there were some ducks and geese

at the lily pond next to the Signal Mt. road

and trail. There were some swans in the lakes

and ponds. There was a moose and reportedly a

young bear on the Jenny Lake trail towards

Hidden Fall and Inspiration point.

Have fun!

I go to Yellowstone once a year. Last year I saw 20 grizzly, 4 black bear, 5 wolves, moose, elk, big horn sheep, etc. As others mentioned, Hayden and Lamar valley are great places for wild life viewing, especially in the morning and evening. Lamar Valley is a great place for wolf watching; the Druid Peak pack's territory crosses the road so they are seeing often. Evenings in Hayden Valley you can watch grizzly hunt elk calf; we saw two kills last year. We usually get great photos of grizzly between Canyon and Roosevelt at Dunraven Pass. We did see two grizzly take down a calf outside our cabin at Lake Lodge. Take a hike up Mt. Washburn and you can get some good photos of big horn sheep. I would suggest staying in Canyon; it is well located for traveling to other locations in the park. Lots of moose in the Tetons and the southern part of Yellowstone. I�m soon off to my yearly trip to Yellowstone, but I�m taking my time both ways. I will be visiting Arches, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, and then home.

• 2 weeks later...

Rafael,

You don't say when in June you're going, so I hope this reaches you in time. My wife and I just got back from two weeks in YS and the Tetons. I will tell you about the two campgrounds we used.

In YS, we stayed at Norris campground, Loop A. This is far and away the best loop (of A, B, C) as it fronts right on to a nice meadow with meandering stream (can't remember which one). Unfortunately, 2 of 3 nights it rained on us, but the one clear evening we had just a short walk (100') to the meadow with beautiful golden sunset light on elk

feeding. Bison were also in the meadow, but on the other rainier days. I would recommend Norris Loop A highly for its scenic and wildlife beauty. If you get lucky and/or get there early, you can

even get a site on the outter part of Loop A and have your tent door open right to the meadow. Lovely!

In the Tetons we stayed at Jenny Lake campground, and I must admit I was highly disappointed given all the hype this campground has. Mainly my disappointment has to do with the layout of the camp: for 50 sites, there is ONE bathroom. The men's and woman's room have only ONE sink each. In addition, the camp is laid out like a long, stretched oval loop. The bathroom is located at one of the long ends.

Absolutely ridiculous, if you ask me. One of the worst plans I've ever seen in a campground. The sites can be nice however, with plenty

of privacy from your neighbor due to the thick forestation left in place. In that regard it's nice. We did have two deer in our site one evening when we returned, but in general, Jenny camp is not gonna

have easily snappable wildlife due to the density of the veg. We did have a very vocal red squirrel, and a large ant mount however :*)

-Chris