overall? I really dont need autofocus or any of the new modern

stuff, looking for manual control mostly. My cash limit is $200 max

for both body and lens. Hoping to spend less by taking my time

hunting thru ebay auctions and etc...

What other older model cameras do you recommend? At this point im

holding back from any newer Nikon models because i rather wait till

im become more experience in photography before getting the new

modern marvels.

Huy, if your budget is $200, then you've nearly made the choice. For a body and lens, I would recommend either the FG or the FM10, but you may have to look hard to find them at that price.

Both are excellent starter cameras. I have an FG (not an FG-20) and I've used an FM10 just to see what it was like.

The FG has an Aperture priority setting and a full Program setting, which the FM10 lacks, but otherwise the features will be essentially the same for your course.

Also, check out B&H Photo and Adorama for specials (if you're in the US). They may have a package that works for you. Licks to their websties are on the main page here at photo.net.

Advantages of the FG over the FM10: aperture priority, programmed auto, TTL flash.

Advantages of the FM10 over the FE: fully manual (works without batteries), 1/125s flash sync.

The FG-20 loses programmed auto and TTL flash over the FG, it is actually very similar to the original FE, only lighter.

I'd recommend an FG with a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 series E.

With your budget I'd stick with the older bodies...I believe the FM10 is made my

Cosina and it shows...it truly is not a Nikon body. Ultimately photography is a

relatively to a hugely expensive activity/hobby/lifestyle and your best bet would be to

somehow get a larger budget...I'd recommend an old FE (I personally prefer when

the body has the option of aperture priority) and a Series E lens to go with it (50mm,

100mm, etcetera).

Good luck,

I paid $135 recently for an FG on ebay. It came with a 50/1.8 E, SB-15 flash, hood, case, bag, and instruction manuals; good deals can be had. I picked this one up for a gift for a young person who is interested in photography. Mine turned out to have gooey mirror foam, easily remedied with $10 worth of supplies from micro-tools.

The FG is a pretty good learner camera. In addition to a whole bunch of other Nikon cameras and lenses, I have an FG that I sometimes use when traveling. It's one of the smallest lightest Nikon SLRs, and it can use almost all of my lenses (in my case, everything but a handful of 'pre AI' lenses).

The FG is supposed to be prone to a certain kind of circuit board failure and they aren't worth repairing when they die. For this reason, I'd be a little leery of buying anything off ebay where it's advertised 'as is' or 'I don't know anything about cameras' (probably generally good advice not limited to the FG).

Maybe I'm the only one, but I would suggest that you get a "modern marvel" and set it to manual or whatever specification your instructor suggests. You can get a Nikon N65 for <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh1.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___207070___NIN65___USA___CatID=0___SID=F597D8EE870">here</a> brand new for $199 and add a new 50 mm 1.8 lens for $99 new or $50 if you can find one used.

FG is pretty good, very lightweight but not super fragile either. I had two at one point when they were current. One BW, one colour film loaded.

I bought one recently online and it was nice shape. My sister has had one for a long time, but sadly she hardly uses it.

The m, A, P modes are good and TTL flash with Speedlights. Not bad.

regards, Bill

I had an FG for a while and didn't care for it much. I found it too small to hold well (and I don't have big hands). The FM 10, as has been pointed out, a plasticly feeling Cosina. For $200 I would look for a FE with a 50/1.8 lens on ebay. You might even be able to get a FE2 with a normal lens with a little luck. They have a well earned classic status.

Keep looking on ebay for a nice older FM. I picked up a good condition FM with a 50mm f1.8 E lens and a MD12 for just under $200 shipped a couple days ago. This is a fully manual camera, but it is well built and will last a lifetime. Good deals are out there, you just have to keep your eyes out for them.

KEH.com have an FE in "bargain" grade for $109 tonight, and another in "excellent" for $189. in my experience KEH

grade very conservatively, and are good about returns. The FE is the best Nikon for the money at or near your budget

IMO- a huge number were made,so repair parts are easy to find, the shutter is very durable and, the camera is just plain

fun to use. \Why bother with a cheaply made re-badged Cosina?..............

Huy, I have both the FG and FM10 as well as other models. I used the FM10 a little and seems to work ok for now. It does not have that quality feel though and personally I would not put it up against older Nikons for a real user camera. To me it feels "Cheap". The FG I use from time to time works quite well. A nice lightweight camera. I also have an EM model which was Nikon's low end camera in the 70's. That believe it or not still works fine for me after 20 years. Not a problem at all. Takes very nice pictures. It is my backup most of the time! As for buying a camera on eBay, yes there are some great deals. Of course you have to be careful and check the add and buyer reputation before considering a purchase. I just got another FM in mint on eBay for $165.00. The FM and FM2N are my favorite Nikon cameras for durability. My conclusion would be try to get a good used FM body with a 50mm E series lens instead of a Nikkor only due to price. The chrome bodies are always a bit cheaper than the black ones. For $200.00 or less you should be able to buy both camera and lens. Also someone else mentioned KEH Camera dealer. Yes, these guys are good. I purchased quite a few items from them with no problems what so ever. Their grading is very honest. You may want to give them a call or check out their website for their inventory.

I can't comment on the FM10, but I've had an FG with a 50mm/1.8 for 20 years and I still use it to this day along side me F80S. It's been around the world with me and has seen more than a few bumps and drops with no ill effects. Nice and compact for an SLR. It's well built and has a good set of features for a beginner (full program, aperture priority and full manual). The meter is pretty accurate (center weighted 60/40). All in all a great camera. The FM10 is made by Cosina in China and is a mostly plastic camera - the FG is metal and was made in Japan.

--Mike

Huy,

I second what Mike Catalino has said. I had an FG that's been everywhere, from above treeline in freezing rain storms to the South Pole, taking photos at -60 degrees below. It had a rough life and held up through it all until it had a run in with the car...

I picked up another on eBay for around $150 and it's also going strong, too.

Cheers,

I have a Nikon EM, Nikon FG, Nikon FE2 and a Nikon FA. I use them all, typically with different film speeds loaded. For vacations I always take the Nikon FG. It is as small and as light as the EM and has "A", "P" and Manual modes with TTL Flash at 1/90 sec sync. With a mini-tripod, an 85mm and 28mm prime lens combo and the tiny Nikon SB-23 flash, I can travel light and cover most situations. The Nikon FG is well built, works very well (if you know how to use 60/40 center metering), has an exposure compensation dial (a valuable asset for daylight flash fill using TTL flash in manual mode), has an LED shutter speed display that will show over/under exposure to within 1/2 stop accuracy, an audible "beep" if you go below 1/30 sec shutter speed and will do metered night exposures in "A" mode for up to several minutes. Hmmm...I wonder why I need those other Nikons?

Gordon, I know you're joking, but I'll answer your rethorical question anyway...

You need the other Nikon bodies because you want bodies that can mount non-AI lenses and meter through them, because you want matrix metering, AF, AF-I/AF-S, VR, G-type lenses, mirror lock-up, mechanical shutter, 1/4000s shutter speed or 1/250s flash sync.