Mounting inkjet prints to board

alpshiker

Would some of you give me advice as to how to permanently mount inkjet prints to mat boards? I wish to mount with the

edges of the print visible when framed. Would a sprayable product be convenient to facilitate the process? The 3M mounting

adhesive rolls would be another option but more complicated and I wonder if it might not leave too much thickness behind

the print that might be visible from the edges. Maybe not? Any brand of sprayable glue that would not get yellow with age

and would not get across the paper? Thanks!

Paul

I have had good luck dry mounting such prints. I use low temperature dry mounting tissue designed for color prints and set the temperature lower. I have a dry mounting press I bought many years ago. In principle, if you are careful, you can do it with an iron.

I've had good luck with "Studio Tac" for cotton rag prints. There are two version and I use the High Tac one which is in a red package.

Its very easy to use, not messy, and seems to give a decent bond. B&H carries it. The largest size is 11x17, I just use multiple sheets. I've used it on 16x20 prints this way. I've tried 3M PMA but find it very messy to use. I also had a problem with PMA on Pictorico's glossy film, you could see the texture of the adhesive through the print.

Not an inkjet person, but my procedure with Lightjet prints is 3M Photo Mount spray. Floating the print on a larger piece of matboard is a little complicated.

I position the print without adhesive on the board, and use low-tack masking tape (aka lacquer tape) to hinge the print to the board (I'm not entirely sure inkjet output can take this kind of abuse. Definitely check a print you don't care about first). I then flip the print upside down with clean newspaper underneath it, and mask the mountboard thoroughly. I then spray the back of the print (You want to do this outside, well away from cars, cats, dogs and children.), always aiming from the center out to minimize chance of spray getting underneath to the front side of the print. I then lift the print, making sure it doesn't touch any of the overspray areas, and with the other hand toss all the newspaper. I then slowly lower the print to the matboard, letting it droop so the first part to hit is the part near the tape. Disposable cotton gloves help. Short-term (1-2 years) I haven't seen any yellowing, but wouldn't want to bet on what it'll look like 30 years down the road.

Have you considered a Xyron Machine? Most people use them to laminate but they also have an archival adhesive option. The stuff comes in rolls and you just crank your photo through it and then trim the excess. Peel off the backing and you have a perfect layer of archival adhesive with little to no stress to the photo. No heat, far less expensive than dry mount, less mess than spray photo adhesive. Very reasonable priced. Mine does up to 12" wide (and up to 50ft. long).

Many good tips to consider! Thank you! Maybe I should look for a dry mounting press at some point. Will try find a can of photo compatible spray as well as a roll of adhesive to make some trials. Thanks for the explanation of the procedure for sticking a floating print to the board!