What size is the front lens cap on a Canon FD 400mm 4.5?

I have the S.S.C. version, and it takes a metal slip-on cap, and I suspect the later ones do to, as my 300/4.0L takes a slip-on. You might measure it and see if there is a Schneider slip-on lens cap in the right size (order from bhphoto.com or any place that sells Schneider lenses for large format, like Calumet). You could get a custom lens cap from www.skgrimes.com (not cheap, but the best!). You can also use an Optech Hood Hat, which is a neoprene cover that slips over the lens hood, which is what I use on my 400/4.5 that came without a cap.

The 400mm f4.5 nFd uses a bag type front cap and would be very very hard to find by it's self. a slip on type would need to be approx. 98mm and about 10mm deep.

As far as having Mr. Grimes make you one that would not be possible as he has recently passed away. And while I understand his widow and family are keeping the business running I do not know if this would include custom machining. Take it from someone who knows (I have both a lathe and large milling machine) You don't just go out to the lathe and make a lens cap with out much experiance.

You would be better off looking for a store bought 98mm cap or making a bag style yourself.

IMHO

When I bought my 400 f4.5 new in 1986 it came with a bag cap. I took the lens to a machine shop and they fabricated a cap for me out of UHMW (a plastic/nylon material). I had them fab the cap one inch deep and size for size; OD lens / ID Cap...thus the cap was a slip fit on the lens. Took about 1/2 an hour to do and cost me $40.

When I bought my FD300/2.8L many years ago, it also didn't have a front cap. So I made one myself. I measured the diameter and cut out (from hard cardboard) a circle that would fit , leaving just a millimeter of space on all sides. I then covered the cardboard circle with a soft plastic material (poly.. something) but you could use something like linnen too I guess. This cap would fit exactly into the lens. On the side that didn't touch the lens, I put a little "handle" to pull it out of the lens again. Worked perfectly all those years and costed less than $1.

A lot of Steve Grimes' machine work was done by his assistants who were supervised and trained by him. They're still offering all the services he offered, as far as I can tell. There being relatively few machinists who specialize in this kind of work for photographers, S. K. Grimes is a business I like to support when I can, even absent the master feinmechanik himself.