Recommendation for Best Ebay dealer to buy Leica from.

c_d5

Well, we get burned sometimes. The first deal I made on the Ebay for

my very first Leica Camera( a CL). Got burned. The camera arrived

and TADA!!! The rangefinder is dim. I live in Indonesia and the

seller is in Netherland. Too bad, give him a good feedback allready.

That is my story.

So, is there any recommendation out there for a good reputable

specialize Leica dealer on the Ebay with GOOD DEAL for collector, and

GREAT deal for user you can recommend?

If you can, deal with people on the forum first. We are a more honest group and will be more likely to help with a problem.

I have bought and sold items with several people here and it has always been a great experience.

Begin from Indonesia, expect people to want payment in certified funds or by some sort of transfer, and make sure you check out the customs issues first. Southeast Asia is more problematic than Europe or North America when it comes to sending and receiving goods or monies.

Good luck!

Youxin Ye. Ebay name 'wye7.' A true gentleman and class-act, categorically recommend. He doesn't have 700+ positive feedbacks and not a single negative for nothing. I don't know if he will ship to Indonesia, however (although he does ship to other Asian countries).

I had actually contacted Mr.Ye(wye') from Boston, he could send to Indonesia to my address. He is a very great guy. But, he sells infrequently. Beside, too many people are interested at his stuff and his items bid become higher than my reach.

Most seller do not usually like to send to Indonesia because of the custom and credit card fraud problem.I understand the shipping problems to Indonesia. This is why I usually inquire the bidder first, and assure them that I will pick up the cost incurred after shipping. And I prefer sending cold hard cash over credit card transaction.

I ended paying more than US$600 for total cost of that CL body. I travelled to Japan and Canada infrequently, last time I went to Toronto, inspected the CL at Kindermann and Gerry told me that the rangefinder silvering has all gone. Well, happy ending anyway, traded that CL for a nice M2(black) with Reinhold Mueller. Right now, I am saving up for a nice user 50`cron and a better lightmeter (the one that I have right now is a russian leningrad2).

I look out for the FS. in this forum, too. But, most of the prices are still out of my reach. ( I work in Indonesia, and my salary is very VERY LOW) This is why I think ebay is a little better alternatives to get a bargain on the Leica.

Over the past dozen years I've owned three CL bodies. None of them had rangefinders as bright and contrasty as the ones in my M cameras. They are nice light handy little cameras to always have with you. I sold one, rather beat up, when I got a mint one in a rather involved swap of Leitz and Hasselblad goodies. My son promptly talked me out of that one for a trip to the Middle East he was going on. I then lucked out and found another in good condition, a litle paint missing on one corner, with a 40mm Summicron in cherry condition. That was on Ebay and I got it for $425, body & lens! Sometimes there just aren't many interested bidders to bid up prices.

I have purchased cameras from two gentlemen on EBAY:

EBAY id: (amhlee), (Anthony Lee)? and EBAY id: (meleica) Tony Rose. I have purchased several lenses and a body from Tony. All are brand-new in the box and come with International warranty. He might also sell some used stuff. Tony is also great to deal with.

Chisso, a couple of friendly suggestions.

Many times, eBay is not cheaper than buying from a trusted party on photo.net or LUG etc.

Secondly, if your financial situation is not stellar, perhaps you should think twice about a used Leica anyhow. They are by all accounts very expensive to buy (hey, even a used 50 yrs old M3 costs over $800 in good condition) and they are expensive to repair as well.

If this is your first venture into rangefinder cameras, a Bessar R2 w/ a lens might be a better option. If it indeed flares your passion and you realize that this is something you cannot live without, then saving up for a Leica M6 (or a M4x) might be a wise next step.

Cheers,

I have purchased a number of items from meleica (Tony Rose) on Ebay. I have found him to be fast and reliable, and each item was exactly as described.</p>

I also recently purchased a lens from amhlee in Hong Kong. The lens is terrific and was shipped very promptly (received in just two or three days). </p>

Both of these sellers are highly recommended.

Here's another recommendation for Tony Rose. He sells under the name MELEICA. Very fast shipments. Excellent communication. He sells new, gray market items. I've bought some used lenses from several other people and got exactly what was described. Maybe I'm lucky but in nearly 100 transactions on e-bay I've never been burned.