Hasselblad 500cm rear curtains

serge_kozak

Let me say I am somewhat new to MF so please excuse for possible

ignorance. Now to the point. I have picked up a 500CM. I have not

tested it with a lens but I see the following may cause a problem.

When I set the camera in to the T mode or just hold the shutter

release the lower curtain seems a little to high like so:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~skozak/HasBody.jpg

Would anyone be able to confirm or let me know otherwise that it is

a problem. If so will getting the body serviced fix this. Any idea

on the cost for this? Than you for your help in advance.

Serge Kozak

Serge-

The camera certainly needs work. Both doors should be approximately parallel when

in the open position. The offending door will cut off the light to the film. Most likely

the door was pulled up by a user while locked open. This cannot happen by itself with

the LOWER door.

As far as cost goes... very difficult to say precisely. Or even generally for that matter

without a hands-on inspection. It depends on so many factors. Among them: The

condition of the door (does it need to be replaced or just put back into postion), what

else should be done while it's apart, the overall condition of the back, who's doing the

repairs and what their rates are for doing such things. You should take it in to several

reputable shops for estimates. I should say that this problem alone should not

generate a large bill because it is a relatively simple problem. Probably.

Good Luck-

Peter Rosenthal - PR Camera Repair, Flagstaff, AZ

I sorted my upper door problem by following a simple instruction in a Hasselblad parts book. It would be easier to show than describe but basically gently stroke along the hinge with the thumbs and ease the flap into position - no push no shove no brutality - just stroke the thing - I don't even know if you're meant to be realigning the flap on its hinge or actually bending the thing and I don't really need to know - it worked. I have to be in a good biorhythm state to do this type of thing - so try giving it a wee stroke and let it know it's loved - might save a big bill - any symptoms of pain (in the camera)stop immediately obviously.

This is indeed a problem. Looks just like the barn door on my 500CM did after it "double fired" or was "bumped" on the winding knob. The condition is repairable and will involve at least a bent spring replacement. There may be other things wrong with the body, but these won't be known until your repair person has a look.

<p>

Good luck. I'm happy to see I'm not the only person on this list who's had this kind of problem. I was getting to feeling a bit lonely...