620 folm versus 120 film

joel_collins

The other day at a garage sale I found an old Kodak Reflex TLR for about $10. Good deal, I thought, for a working 2 1/4 X 2 1/4 camera.

As it turns out, inside the camera is a sticker that says to use only 620 film. The empty 620 spool seems to be the same size as 120. Can I use 120 film in this camera? If I can't, I guess I'll call Film For Classics and try to order some.

Yes you can. 120 and 620 film are the same size the only difference is the reel size. I just ordered some film from Film For Classics and had no problem, they were fast and the film was good. I read but have not tried yet rolling my 120 film onto 620 reels, all you need to do is take it off one reel and put it on the other carefully.

I've been re-spooling 120 film onto 620 spools for several years now, and once you get the technique down, it doesn't take much time at all.

I roll 120 film onto an empty 120 spool first, and then run it onto the 620 spool. You can start the spooling with the lights on and then turn them out when you're ready.

I found out of date 620 film at photo swaps and used camera stores to get the 620 spools.

When I re-spool color film and XP-2 Ilford, I have them developed and my lab returns the empty spool with the processed film.

<p>

John Gateley

• 1 year later...

I also respool regularly 120 on 620 spools. All y do is to put my hands under the curtain of my bed in a darkened room. First roll on an empty 120 spool and then roll again on a 620. Be careful, the film is not attached at it's end, so you'll have to be careful to catch it with the paperback. Sometimes, if you don't roll it hard enough, you'll get a gap between the paper and the film, in this case, you got to scratch the film form the paper and fix it back some milimeters farer. Caution, you have to keep it in mind when you look at the film in the red window. Nevertheless, it doesn't happen often.

To find empty spools... continue collecting old cameras, usually, there's one in each...

This brings up another question. I've got an old Agfa Ansco Readyset Royal No. 1 folder that shoots 620, and appears to shoot a 6x9 neg (am I right about negative size?). What numbers line up in the red window? Or do they? I am anxious to try this camera out both because I like odd cameras and because it was my great-uncle's. I've got pics in the family album shot with it that are interesting, and I'd like to see what it does today.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread; I hope this actually helps someone.

I have an old old Kodak Vigilant folder (probably similar to the above Agfa / Ansco) that takes 620 films and shoots in 6x9 format. The Ilford 120 films that I have respooled onto 620 rolls work fine; the number lines up appropriately on the red window, giving you appropriate spacing for 6X9 shots.

Now if I only knew how to fix those bellow leaks...